Turkey Season

BigBuck

Turkey Season

Post by BigBuck »

Did anyone have a great turkey season? Ours was pretty bad overall. I callen in one that my wife killed, plus we both missed once, Probably too far on mine. We had birds coming to calls the first weekend, it was tough other than that. We went 3 weekends, we had horrible weather, real windy one weekend, bad storms last weekend, then the cold. I usually call in 20 to 30 gobblers each season, I think I had 9 this year, all the same weekend. I have been humbled and my confidence in my calling ability is shot. People hunting feeders or stalking with rifles did well, but that is not my style. O well, can't wait till next year.
HOOKED1

TURKEYS

Post by HOOKED1 »

WE HAD MORE YEARLING TURKEYS THAN USUAL ABOVE BANDERA. FEW CAME TO CALL OR FEEDER....MOST JUST FOLLOWED THEIR DAILY RANGE PATTERNS AND YOU COULD SIT AND WAIT OR STALK. THE COME TO CALL WAS POOR. MOST OF THE NOISE (HEN AND TOMS WAS PRE SEASON) AND THEN IT DID GET QUITE.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

We had a slow season down South of Kingsville as well....including the guys hunting the feeders. Me and a buddy hunted hard an entire weekend and only managed to call one in. My take is that there are lots and lots of hens so they didn't have to follow the call, and the conditions have been so great the last couple years that they have no need to hit the feeders or move very far for water.

I also think the breeding season started well before the spring turkey season this year.

Just my $0.02.
BigBuck

Post by BigBuck »

I agree with you Blindcasting about the conditions and hens. We were at the lease two weeks before the season started on a blackbuck hunt for my wife. We drove around and made sure the feeders were empty from deer season and our stands were still ok (no illegals had broke in and tore them up). I called up several turkeys, had to quit so I did not educate them too much. We were still seeing hens with Gobblers the last weekend. Go figure. I think too many hens, but I have decided after 15 years of dedicated turkey hunting that I don't have a clue as to what is happening with the birds. O well, here's to stupid gobblers, may they breed the most!!