Custom Rifle Works:

dreyes111

Custom Rifle Works:

Post by dreyes111 »

I have a savage 110 7mm that i bought one of those cool looking thumbhole stocks for. It was suppose to be a project but i found out it was more work than i expected. Im looking for someone to finish up the stock, light sanding and apply finish and glue in the action and glass the barrel. Im looking for someone close as possible to Corpus Christi. And as cheap as possible. Any help deeply appreciated...Heck I bought it like a year ago and its ben sitting in my garage ever since. Hey also im noew here and looking to make friends. i fish alot around KingRanch shoreline by boat and Emmords. I also hunt deer, hogs, quail, dove and anything else that moves...A big hello to everyone!
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

I went to college in Seguin, TX over by San Antonio. There's a place in Seguin called, I believe, KDF Accuracy. I've been there a few times and they make a lot of their own guns. Really high dollar stuff, but probably not too bad for what you're looking for. They worked with Mr. Kleinguenther, the gunmaker, before he retired. Really beautiful work. Seguin is roughly 2.5 to 3 hours away from Corpus. It might be more of a trip than you were looking for, but the work they do is as good or better than anywhere, or so says anyone that's had work done there.
Ranger375

Stock work

Post by Ranger375 »

I think you will find that it would be better to do the work yourself. Most gunsmiths won't get to your gun for months and will charge you a pretty penny to do it. The work you need to do is really pretty simple and I think you will enjoy it more knowing you did it yourself. There are plenty of sites on the web on how to glass bed and refinish stocks. I've done several myself and have even used other materials than Acraglas with good results (JB Weld and epoxy). The trick is to use a good release agent and plenty of it. Refinishing the stock is pretty simple, too. Good luck!
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Synethic

Post by JimD »

Why not buy a drop in synthetic and custom bed it if you need too. They are cheap and easy to work with now.

Put the pretty wood stock on the work bench to work on when you have time.

Get the finished stock.

When I started gunsmithing the first on the market were Chet Brown of Brown Percision fiberglass stocks. You bought a rough synthetic stock and did the custom inleting, fitting, and bedding yourself. I did two back in 83 or 84 and they still work. At the time before all the new stuff you used wrinkle paint and acid wash for the metal. Mine are still wrinkle painted and both shoot under an inch all day.
Attachments
IMAG0004.JPG
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Here is my son

Post by JimD »

Mike with his first two shots. The hog at 190 yards and the deer at 135 from the TPWL youth only hunt at the Chaperrel wl management ranch.
Attachments
IMAG0009.jpg
IMAG0009.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I'm jealous Jim. I've been putting my name in the hat for a hunt at the Chap for many years. Congrats to your son. Love that red dirt.