Hogs

Sharkbait

Hogs

Post by Sharkbait »

I am not having any luck getting hogs to go in a trap that I have on the deer lease.

Do yall have any suggestions?

The trap is about 4x4x8 with the little doors that need to be pushed so the hog can get in, then they just fall shut behind them. It has been sitting outside for about four years so it shouldn't smell like paint or anything.

We have dug holes and burried corn and jello. then we watched this area for two days. The hogs came when we were'nt there and dug it all up.
So we baited the holes again and set a trap on top. We also put a little corn and jello inside.
The little buggers have been there, but they will not go in.

Have any of you had any luck with this type of trap?

Thanks
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Hogs are extremely smart and they become trap smart in a hurry. The hogs see a lot of traps in their wanderings.

Hogs are more resistant to going into traps that they have to push the door open versus the type that is tripped by a lever.

Only baiting traps on a part time basis, as on a deer lease, does not really work that well. You have to bait the traps every day. You have to have the hogs coming on a habit basis to trap them. Expect to use up a lot of corn for the number of hogs that you catch. From an economic perspective, you cannot really break even with the price of corn for the number of hogss that you catch.

You need to put a lot of corn in the trap. The coons and squirrls will eat a lot of the corn. Scatter jello around the trap, don't bury it. The wind will carry the smell to the hogs.
Boar

Post by Boar »

on one of the push through doors prop it open with a 6-8" stick it will make it easier for the hog to git in and will fall out of the way once the pig gets started

Boar
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I agree with the two posters above. Get a constant food source like a feeder and hang it over the trap. When you bait it, spread the jello out, put in on the ground, on top of the trap, on nearby trees, etc. I've only had good success with rasberry flavored jello.

Also, propping the door open with a stick will greatly increase the chances of a hog going in. Prop it high enough for the hog to be able to go all the way in without hitting the door, however place the stick where it is likely that they'll knock it down once they are in or on their way out.
Matador 1

Hogs

Post by Matador 1 »

Strawberry cool aid works.. Try corning the trap with the door tied open get them use to coming in and eating the corn and leaving, when you know they have been in the trap you can prop it open like stated above. It worked for us on our trap shy pigs..
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Yep, they tend to like strawberry jello.

Blindcasting mentions using a feeder. Use can use a small feeder and hang it above the trap. You can rig a funnel out of sheet tin around the thrower on the feeder to make the corn fall into the trap instead of outside the trap.

You will catch deer in the trap. The deer tend to go crazy once in there compared to hogs. Getting the deer out can become very interesting and somewhat dangerous depending on the trap makeup and the deer.

If you trap when it's hot, you have to monitor the trap closely. Hogs do not last long in the trap in August unless you can get them cooled down quickly.

The summer of 2002 we took about 40 hogs off our place with traps.
Sharkbait

#@!!&** HOGS

Post by Sharkbait »

Thanks for the replies, we have pretty much tried all of the above.
We just moved the trap from under a feeder, and shoved it into some thick brush. It looks a little less like a trap (to me at least)
One suggestion that had not occured to me, is to just tie the doors open and see if they will go in like that a few times. Then reset the doors.

I really thought we would have them lined up at the door waiting to get in

Ill let ya know when we get em!

I check it every two days
Sharkbait

#@!!&** HOGS

Post by Sharkbait »

Thanks for the replies, we have pretty much tried all of the above.
We just moved the trap from under a feeder, and shoved it into some thick brush. It looks a little less like a trap (to me at least)
One suggestion that had not occured to me, is to just tie the doors open and see if they will go in like that a few times. Then reset the doors.

I really thought we would have them lined up at the door waiting to get in

Ill let ya know when we get em!

I check it every two days
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Trap is way too small, use a larger area, say fence in a spot about 20 feet by 20 feet, find a sow in heat...folks DO rent pigs, and you're all set and good to go, you will have males in the pen in the morning....Doh!

You want a push gate to allow them in, but not out.

They're dumb, but not stupid....