Camo Tarpon 120

Lou Dog

Camo Tarpon 120

Post by Lou Dog »

Thanks Aquafowlr for suggesting the camo stencils, here are some pics of my 120 we just got done painting, cheesy camera phone! Happy Holidays to all!!!
Attachments
sweet
sweet
nice
nice
Duck killer!!!
Duck killer!!!
DiverDn

Post by DiverDn »

Looks good.

What kind of paint did you use?
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

LouDog
Very Well Done !!
did you use the new Krylon Fusion paint for polyurethane ??
definitely need help with the photos though :wink: :roll: 8)

StuckInTheMud

Wow

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Lou Dog,
Could you take some real deal photos of that artwork? That looks amazing? Please explain how you went about painting that up with some stencils!!
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

I used Rust-oleum textured paint, I'm knew to Duck hunting but my friend Jamie has been doing it for over 25 years, he said the paint will work fine, he's used it before to camo things. Hopefully I'll get some pic's this Saturday.
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

I'll take some photo's hopefully this Saturday with a real camera, first we sanded the kayak with 60 grit sandpaper then we did a little bit of gray and brown spots and then the real tree stencil in black, then we did the grass pattern in green and then again in that lighter color.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Lou,

That’s cool.

I’ve noticed the ducks in my area quickly associate the waters edge with hunters and spend most of the day out in the middle of the lake.

What if you painted one of these to look like a mallard. You could float right out in the middle of the lake with your decoys.

EE
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I made a ghillie serapie and hunt from my kayak in the middle of my spread.

Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

Hey there, so I went out today by myself and man was it slow. Of all the people I talked to the most any one person had shot was 2 birds. I got one drake Cinnamon Teal and only fired one shot all day. It was the only duck that flew within range.
I had another hunter take pic's of me on the yak and they came out like crap, too dark, too far and too bad! I did take a pic of the yak myself though. Enjoy! Oh and the pic of me on land was taken when I got that pintail.
Attachments
Sweetness
Sweetness
Best of the bad shots
Best of the bad shots
Pintail
Pintail
Kelly Watson
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kelly Watson »

We get almost zero cinnamon teal here.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

jonnylaw
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jonnylaw »

Damn! great job on the stencil and paint.
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

Capt Jack, thanks for fixing the photos and it looks like you touched one up a bit, I don't know how but one time I got them to show like that where you don't have to click on the pic to see it, I didn't do anything different. JL, thanks for the compliment! Kelly, as far as Cinnamon Teal, that's probably the most common duck at the refuge I hunt. I'm still new to this so I don't know if that's a good thing, we get lots of Spoonies too.
I wish I was going this Saturday but it's gonna rain like crazy and it's my dads birthday. He doesn't hunt, fishes only.
AQUAFOWLR

stencils

Post by AQUAFOWLR »

GREAT job on the boat!!!!! Glad it came out good for you. Don't be surpriced if the paint comes off in the cockpit. Mine did on my first boat. So I didn't bother painting my second one there. Besides, my big butt covers that area up with camo waders. hehe
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

Yak Joe wrote:as far as Cinnamon Teal, that's probably the most common duck at the refuge I hunt.

I'm certainly not against hunting (although I don't duck-hunt). But, it seems very ironic to hunt in a "refuge". Maybe Webster should redefine that word. :lol:
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

Cypress Aggie, I thought that was pretty funny as well, refuge, to me at least, sounds like a place where animals can go to seek refuge, and be safe. There are not a whole lot of public places to hunt waterfowl in Southern California, so the refuge is the only close place and it's a couple hours north. The "refuge" is only open to hunters on Wednesdays and Saturdays, all other days it is a bird watching area, there are closed area on the refuge where hunting is not allowed. There are sanctuaries throughout the state where hunting is not allowed at any time. Peace out.
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

So, where did Yak Joe's post go? It simply disappeared. I didn't know one could delete their post after a subsequent reply had been posted. ?????

In any case, I now understand that a "refuge" is only a part-time "sactuary".
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

I changed my profile name to yak joe and back to this one, I don't know why, just bored I guess!
Shallowminded

Post by Shallowminded »

Thats some fine work there Lou Dog. It came out real good. Let us know if that paint job holds up. I'm curious to find out if it at least holds up for the remainder of the season pretty well without too much flaking and chipping. I guess you can just keep on painting it. But nonetheless, excellent idea on the stencil work.
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

Yes it was an excellent idea! It wasn't my idea though, I think it was Aquafowlr's idea. I ended up camo'ing a Tarpon 140 as well. The paint has held up very well with a couple minor scratches, with moving the kayak periodically to access other items in my storage area between now and next duck season I'll probably have more scratches and need to touch up the paint job. Jeez was that a huge run-on sentence?
Anyways, I might just touch it up before the next season starts, a fine excuse to hang out outside and crack a few too many beers.
On another note, I'm not sure when ya'lls waterfowling season ends but ours is officially over tonight, yes I am sad and can't wait until next season, it's a shame I can't hunt ducks everyday but that's the way it goes.
Thank you all for the advice and help I've received here, I will continue to read and occasionally post as I enjoy the content of this site. I also hunt coyotes, upland birds, mule deer and I am going to hunt wild pigs pretty soon. Pretty much anything with a heartbeat that I can afford to hunt!
I'll attach a photo (I can't figure out how to make the photo's bigger on the posting) of my first duck limit on Jan 14th, I was on fire that day! My friend Jamie also limited, same number of birds, same species, both of us had 4 Green Wing Teal, 1 Widgeon, 1 Pintail and 1 Spoonie.
Thanks again, Lou Dog
Attachments
Holding my limit, Jamie's limit on the ground.
Holding my limit, Jamie's limit on the ground.
Last bird of the day for me!
Last bird of the day for me!