Cost Of Deer Hunting?

FishDFly

Cost Of Deer Hunting?

Post by FishDFly »

I dropped off a deer at the taxidermist last night and spent some time talking with him and one of the guides that was there. They were telling me of places that they know of that pen raise deer and turn them loose in pastures for the "sport" to show up and shoot the deer. They said that there was one deer that would score 202 and the price was $45,000 to shoot it. The stories went on and on. I have another taxidermist that I use and he said that it would scare you if you knew how many 6 figure deer that he mounts.

At work we were talking about this and one of the contractors said that he had a friend who was paying $8,500 a gun on a lease. On that lease they have taken one 190 and one 180 class deer. He had another friend who was paying $12,000.

The working man is slowly being taken out of deer hunting.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

My dad has a cousin that owns a well known ranch in South Texas. I know they have gotten $50K+ for some of their bucks. This was a few years ago, and I suspect they could get six figures now.

We have had a family lease in South Texas since the mid 70's, and pay much less than the going rate. It has gotten to a point where we won't discuss with anyone how much we pay for fear that we will get outbid and lose the place.

As long as we have high fences the prices will never come down, but don't even get me started on that subject. :x
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

You ought to get a look at Texas Trophy Hunters Magazine and see what the ranchers pay for live deer.

I'll stick with trophy does...
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

MikeH

A lot of people work on a lease until they get it where they want it and then they get kicked off or out bidded. My father finally got full and bought land to end the problem. Lucky for me, as I do not have to put up with landowners or anyone else.

I had one neighbor high fence one side on me. You are right, no need to go there.

I don't look at TTHM, it only tends to upset me when I see what is going on.
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

Ditto that, FDF.
I like the attitude of all the fine folks on this board. The fishing attitude is very sporting and friendly.
Its my opinion that the deer hunting in Texas has turned away from the sporting and comaradery into something darker and commercial.
As for me, I will stick to fishing and bird hunting.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Mellon,

Deer hunting is a business now. There are ranches that sold off their cattle and went to straight deer and exotics. The price on deer goes up and the price of cows wanders all over the place. Think about it, ten (10) deer at $5,000 each is $50,000. That is a bunch of calves to get that amount of money.

It's kind of hard to pen raise trout, redfish an flounder, turn them loose and then catch them.

If I had to choice between hunting and fishing, I would have to go with the fish. I can fish all year long and the people are nicer.
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

WHY LEASE WHEN YOU CAN BUY

Post by Newt »

I don't hunt deer. But, I have a lot of family & friends who do. I have often wondered, why a group that has hunted together for years don't buy their own deer hunting property. Surely it can't be anymore expensive than some of the leases & IT'S YOURS. I have also wondered why more hunters don't have RV's. Some of the shacks on leases are just that, shacks. You can buy a small used travel trailer for very little. Then you can at least have a good bed, a pot & a place to shower. You can cook & eat in the shack. :lol:
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Unfortunately the cost of hunting land has gone through the roof as well. We just added a small contiguous section to our place last year and it went for over $500 an acre. Spread that across a 1,000 acre place and you looking at numbers that are just way to expensive for most people and even most groups to buy.

I agree with the people on this thread that the $$ involved has gotten ridiculous. If I were not fortunate enough to have a family place I would have given it up long ago.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Buying a place to hunt, it's hard enough to stay married and please the wife much less than having 3 to 6 people get along.

The inner policitics on some leases strains relationships, much less when everyone is an equal financial partner. Throw in marriages, divorces, the economy and people losing their jobs, I don't know how group buying would work. Oh, one other, the personalities of the wives to mess things up.
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Yea, but a good cat fight is fun to watch...

Post by fryemup »

Not that us guys want our wives or girl friends in them,, but you can be assured there would be a few. Especially once one person in the group got a Big "D" and so the next year he has a girl friend...