Duck/Goose Scouting Report for North Katy Area

TomL

Duck/Goose Scouting Report for North Katy Area

Post by TomL »

I went out scouting last night, and spotted thousands of ducks and geese just north of Katy. I saw one particular area of water in a green field that had close to 300 mallards, black ducks, and mottled ducks on it, along with a few teal!!! :lol: I was real suprised to see the mallards down so early, but I'm glad they're here.

That water was only 300 yards from the entrance to our property, so hopefully they will come and visit us tomorrow morning for the opener!

Has anyone else seen any mallards?
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

I used to do most all my hunting in the north Katy area, but have lost touch with the lease as the years went by. Now I have been going to the coastal marshes and hunting. Alas, none of those beautiful mallards down there.
My hunting buddy and I have been able to make use of the kayaks to reach some great spots.
Can't wait til Sat...
str8powder

Mallards

Post by str8powder »

I've seen some in Liberty but none in winnie yet. We have a lot of pintail in winnie I think this front should do us some good with the other big ducks. There was about 300 birds on our resevoir yesterday afternoon.

Good luck
KatyTxGooseHunter

Post by KatyTxGooseHunter »

Few of my buddies hunted our lease in North Katy on Saturday. Not much luck, one teal and a spoony. They said they saw birds flying high (ducks and geese) but nothing decoyed into them.
TomL

Post by TomL »

After all of the anticipation leading up to this weekend, we did not do very well either. We saw lots of birds flying high as well, but they were not interested in checking us out at all.

We did manage a couple each day, and Sunday we bagged a gorgeous old Mallard Drake with 5 or 6 tail curls! My buddy is going to have him mounted. I actually shot him, but my wife has no interest in having another animal mount in the house!!! :cry:
Matador 1

Duck Hunting

Post by Matador 1 »

we had 4 limits both Sat & Sun in the winnie area mostly teal, and Gadwall. We saw tons of Pintails, and Sunday we could have been done by 8:00 if we wanted to shoot spoons, but we waited and closed the day out with 2 mallards and a Specklebelly. Good hunts for us but its REAL hard not to shoot those pintails when they come in..

[url][/url]
TomL

Post by TomL »

I don't know of anyone who took 24 birds (4 limits) in a group that hunted West of Houston and North of I-10. I guess that birds would just rather be somewhere else right now.
Matador 1

Post by Matador 1 »

It was a lot slower on Sun.(in a rice field north of 10) than on Sat (in a resevoir south of 10) Our resevoir has just been coverd with teal a Gadwall. I know there was another 2 limits shot in the resevoir on sun. Our marsh ponds didnt do as good as expected. I have some friends that did good at McFadden and in Brazoria on Sat. Oh well i just hope it gets better.
KatyTxGooseHunter

I am headed to the Eagle Lake area on Friday and Saturday to goose hunt. One of the fields we are hunting actually has a small pond on it so we will set up close to that and see if we get a duck or too. The problem so far in that area is we have not had the water like North Katy.
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

We got out again Monday. Two of us got 12 birds, 11 ducks (widgeons, gadwalls, mostly) and one specklebellied goose. Great hunt and the weather was sunny and warm.
KatyTxGooseHunter

Lets just say the weekend of hunting didn't measure up to the anticipation. Friday morning we goose hunted near Eagle Lake, between 3013 and 1093. We showed up early to set up a large spread only to find out that my buddy forgot the key to his atv at the house. I loaded mine up and headed to the center of the field...but wait a minute the farmer had plowed the rice down to barely any stuble...just dirt. Long story short, no birds on Friday.

Saturday we hunted a pond north of Katy. We were covered with ducks. The problem was they were all Pintails. Hundreds and hundreds. We did knock down a few teal, but we had to just stand there and watch the Pintails most of the morning. Not complaining, it was enjoyable to watch them glide down from high up right into the spread.

Headed out to do the same this weekend. Good luck if you get out there too.
TomL

Post by TomL »

I hunted this morning, and we only managed a couple of ducks (a Mallard drake, and a Gadwall drake). Tons of geese in the area though, so I'm thinking the first good foggy day will bring Hell on those geese. I'm seeing lots of juveniles in the flocks, and the geese are still flying relatively low off the roost...even on a crystal clear day like today.