Bay Hunting?

Dux20

Bay Hunting?

Post by Dux20 »

I have been interested in duck hunting the south shoreline of X-Mas Bay, but was not sure what the rules are in terms of where and when I can hunt. I see a lot of blinds on the water and was not sure if they are open to use. Can anyone give me some advice? I don't want to step on anyones toes or break any laws by going down there and not knowing the rules and etiquette.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Technically, it's all considered "public" land, so any blinds built could be used by anyone. BUT, if you are in a blind, and somone pulls up and tells you to get out, then I definitely would. A confrontation between two armed individuals can only go from bad to worse!!! :shock:

As far as hunting goes, all you need to hunt there is a valid license with the appropriate state/federal waterfowl stamps and you are good to go. Just follow the South Zone hunting season dates and bag limits.

If you end up going, let us know how you do. I have a beach house about 5 miles from there, but I've never tried to duck hunt while I was down there.
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

Technicaly, if you hunt in a blind someone else built without their permission, you are an a**hole. Legally you are ok. Ethicaly you are not.
If you want a blind, build one. It is common practice among guides ( who after all are trying to make a living) to walk up to their blind with the squaters in it and light the brush on fire with little or no warning. It is their blind. They spent the hours hauling materials to it and the time to build it.
This a common but serious problem in the in the Corpus Christi area.
Better yet make a hide on a shoreline with grass or mangroves on it.
wear cammo and squat or sit down. This is better than a fixed blind. especialy in late season.
Chip Pitcairn
TomL

Post by TomL »

I think the situation in Corpus and the situation in Galvestion are night and day. Galveston doesn't have a lot of guides that use those blinds on a regular basis to make a living. Most of those blinds in x-mas were made by Regular Joes wanting a place to hunt.

Now that I said that, I do agree with CP on the a**hole thing. I was more politely putting it that way in my previous letter.

Also, I agree with CP that squatting in some natural brush on the shoreline would probably be the best way to hunt that area. There are some pond type clearings on Rattlesnake Point and I've heard that that area is a natural flyway for ducks, and might make some excellent pass/decoy shooting while popping a squat!
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

I'm a touch sensitive about this. I hunt a small salt marsh on private land
owned by my father in law. It has a paved road nearby. Poachers are frequently using my 2 blinds. I can't catch them there, but I can tell when they've hunted because of the beer cans, shell boxes and other trash they leave in the blinds. The mud in the marsh is knee deep and very soft. My
friends, wife, son and I worked many days to build these blinds using galvanized hay bail containers as a framework. This year when I went out to brush out the blinds one of them had been stolen. Last year when I complained to the game wardens in Rockport said they wouldn't do anything because the land has several part owners and it was to
" hard" to prosecute. One of the Wardens said he KNEW the poachers , but they were nice guys and not to worry about it. I Know this is an entirely different sittuation than
dux20 described but I needed to vent.
The blind they stole was the only site my father in law or son can get to.
A long slog through deep mud is beyond both of them physically. I will go out this weekend and rig something to shoot from but I no longer have the use of an airboat to deliver the materials so it will not be as good as it was.
Chip Pitcairn
TomL

Post by TomL »

That really sucks!!! :cry:
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'd probably be hotter than you are now if that happened to me. :evil:
Dux20

Bay Hunting?

Post by Dux20 »

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm glad I asked. Hopefully I can give you guys a good report after I make a trip. This was a perfect example of how valuable these forums are. They teach and enlighten when given a chance.

Thanks Again!!!