Anyone have any pointing dogs

Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Anyone have any pointing dogs

Post by Blindcasting »

My only friend with pointing dogs (2 german shorhairs) recently moved out of state leaving me with a bunch of quail, but no dogs to hunt them with.

If you have or know someone who has some pointers and would like to hunt quail about 20 miles south of Kingsville (for free). Please send me an email or PM.

Thanks
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I am hunting with him/them Saturday at Chaparrall WMA.

Post by fryemup »

I will pass your info on, he uses his weimars for field trials quite a bit and I know does pheasant and are trained on quail.

I have the other "half" in a retriever. In thick brush she has proven herself time after time. Nothing wors than having a pointer show the way, then lose them after the shot.

He lives in Floresville and is originally from San Antonio.

ps. I am pumped about this weekend though, Should be super hunting if the snakes don't get us too bad.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

fryemup - I was really bummed that my friend move because our dogs had worked so well together the last few years...his pointers and my retrievers. You can really get your money's worth out of a covey when you don't have to chase down the birds yourself.

Here's a shot of his pointers and my retrievers during a hunt last year.
Attachments
The pointers and the retrievers 2.jpg
The pointers and the retrievers 2.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I agree, nothing better

Post by fryemup »

When I grew up my dad had a friend who had 500 acres off 81South. He fed the quail year round. It wasn't un-common to see 40 - 50 coveys in the afternoon. He had another friend that showed us how a pointer works, and we had a lot of fun, but honestly you couldn't work the covey. After you took your shots, and spent time looking for 2 or 3 downed birds, the dog and the covey was 200 yds away, and after doing that 2 times, you were tired. Now I can actually take a shot, then watch where the covey goes, and look down, and lo and behold here would be my retreiver with the bird. So I never lose concentration on the covey.

By the way thats a pretty good picture. Don't know if my dog would sit with someone elses or theirs with mine . (usually its the other guys dogs that won't behave. Mine is pretty docile and and un-excited)
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Thats a great pic. Gotta love the bird dogs. :D
Big Red

3 1/2 Year Old English Setter

Post by Big Red »

I have a 3 1/2 year old English Setter bitch that you can have for free. She is from some excellent hunting genetics out of Southern Alabama. She has not been trained to hunt yet but she has some obedience training. We have recently moved back to the city and she is not getting used to her full potential in my back yard. She is spaded and has all of her shots current. She is White with Orange markings. We live in the Clear Lake Area. She is looking for a good home where she can hunt. You can call my cell phone at 713 825-4284.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Thanks for the offer, but if I brought another dog into the house my wife would kill me. I've thought about getting one of my own, but it would really only get used for hunting 2-3 weekends a year, so now I'm trying to find someone else who has the dogs and is looking for a place to hunt.

Its kind of like the boat analogy....always better to have a friend that has one that will take you than to have one yourself.
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I told my friend,

Post by fryemup »

He didn't seem interested. One dog is a year old and he is still training her. Un-fortunantely she went into heat this weekend, and with all the other dogs running around, he had to keep her kenneled. His other dog didn't seem to do to well on the quail this weekend due to the conditions - 7" of rain had everything "blooming". None of the coveys that we raised came by the dogs nose.

My retreiver had to either see the quail fall or had to pass within a couple of feet of a downed bird before she could find them.

But she was awesome at chasing down some of the wounded blues that ran into heavy cover. I felt bad for her, she was coated in cactus and stickers.

By the way we had a great quail hunt. I only fired 3 times (missed all 3), but saw more quail this trip than I had in 20 years. The kids had a blast. It was definitely different than dove hunting. Must have walked 15 miles.
MATT SKINNER

QUAIL HUNTING

Post by MATT SKINNER »

DEAR BLINDCASTER, I HAVE A GERMAN SHORTHAIR THAT I HUNT WHEN I CAN. I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT GOING HUNTING. I LIVE IN SAN MARCOS.
MATT SKINNER. 512-369-9965
Michael

Pointing Dogs

Post by Michael »

I have the dogs if you have the quail. Call me at 979-776-8257

Michael