Stable to haul gear but not a barge?

gettin closer

Stable to haul gear but not a barge?

Post by gettin closer »

I currently have a Trident 15 but it rarely gets used since we moved further from the ocean. I am now considering using a kayak to access public hunting grounds next year so there is no rush and plenty of time. The primary purpose is to get into and out of hunting areas (and carry out a deer if I am lucky). The secondary purpose would be paddling around and goofing off and "fishing" not catching. I would need it to paddle (Not pedal) through hydrilla in areas so I do not want a barge but do need some stability and carrying capacity. I have been looking at Nucanoe frontier 10 or 12 or pursuit or an old town? I have zero experience with any of these. Any direct experience would be great and guidance is appreciated.
TG Canoes and Kayaks

Re: Stable to haul gear but not a barge?

Post by TG Canoes and Kayaks »

Add the Jackson Kayak Big Rig to the list. It has reasonable hull speed for a 38" wide kayak, you can walk all over it, and it has a true working capacity of 500#, plenty for you and your deer. A Big Tuna will be a bit faster at 14', can be paddled from the comfortable high/low chair in the center location, and also has a 500# working capacity. We offer free demos of these and all kayak/canoes to make sure you buy the right one the first time. Call me if you have questions.
Duane TG
512-353-3946
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

From the kayaks available, I'd second the idea of a Jackson Big Rig as being a great fit. It has, by the way, a 450 lbs. capacity, not 500 lbs. But, 450 lbs. is more than enough for almost any kayaker and a very large deer . . . plus equipment.

But, if I were going out hunting, I'd take my Meyers Sportspal S-15 over my big Rig any day. You could shoot ducks out of it while standing, it is that stable, paddle miles standing up . . . and it weighs 67 lbs. Actually, the S-13 would be even better as regards transporting it at it's just over 13 ft. length (57 lbs.).

So, way more stable, way lighter, a bit cheaper. You can carry ice chests, guns, chairs, etc. Square stern for a TM or a small outboard. Super!

S-13 below

Brad

gettin closer

Post by gettin closer »

Thanks for the input guys. I will look into the big tuna. I will have to sell my trident 15 with rudder 1st.