Bear tracks?

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Bear tracks?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I'm interested in finding best tracks to cast in plaster. Have any of you guys run across any recently that would point me in the right direction of where to look. I'm not a hunter and am only looking to photograph and cast the tracks. PM me if you want to keep things private. Heaps of gratitude in advance.
CheapRide906

Re: Bear tracks?

Post by CheapRide906 »

I seem to find a lot next to creek bottoms where they intersect with lightly used back roads. I think it is the intersection of two hazards which funnels them in. You'd most likely be able to do some cast there I'd imagine. Same goes for low lying brushy spots that intersect roads, it's like nature's highway. I enjoy wildlife photography, but never thought about casting some tracks...cool idea though.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I was thinking more in terms of geography. I have seen them in Louisiana and Alberta but did not cast them. I was hoping somebody knew where they might be found in East Texas.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I saw bear tracks in Huntsville state park years ago, along some of the hike/bike trails. It was years ago, but if it was good habitat then it might still be a place to find them.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Why not contact a state biologist ask them??????????
CheapRide906

Post by CheapRide906 »

My bad, should have mentioned I hunt out in the Trans Pecos region of West Texas. But I understand they are also making a comeback in East Texas, I read a story about it somewhere so maybe I can find a link, think it might have been somewhere on the TPWD website.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Ringling Brothers tent?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Chief Brody wrote:Ringling Brothers tent?
And sexy bearded ladies too.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

The issue is the scant few TX bears are in W. Texas. You need moist soil to make a print. See where this is going?

Maybe make a trip to CO once it warms up and they wake up? Along those trout streams you can't walk 30' without running into scat or tracks.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I just got off of a lease in Roganvile that bordered Newton county in East Texas and I had one sighting of a small bear. Thought it was a fair sized hog at over 100 yards but when it moved you knew it wasn't a hog. There are sightings of them in Newton county infrequently and the hunting annual journal warns to make sure it's a hog before shooting.
The best advice I could give is call the Newton county game warden and he can probably assist you.
The area does tend to be sandy but there are areas with rich/wet muddy topsoil (just not where I was)
Taz
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Several years ago I was working in one of the local chemical plants on the ship channel, smack dab in the middle of it. Figgered I'd have some fun so I found a short 2x4 and with a small grinder cut a deer looking hoof on one end. We started to leave for the day and I held back and made a bunch of deer tracks in the soft dirt around our work area. Came in the next morning to find the crew scratching their heads and wondering how deer could be there. Of course, being a native born TEXAN I proceeded to tell them how one of the plant operators had told me about a small band of deer that he'd seen. I bet they're still telling that story till this day.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I was thinking more in terms of geography. I have seen them in Louisiana and Alberta but did not cast them. I was hoping somebody knew where they might be found in East Texas.

Maybe the Zoo?
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Most bear sightingS in East Texas have been in the Jasper and Newton areas. I would look more toward the Sabine River and its bottom land. I would think finding a bear track In East Texas would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Too many trail cameras out with few or no pics.

Go to New Mexico up around Sante Fe and the Pecos River. Bear tracks everywhere up there and you can trout fish too.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Thanks to all. It's as I figured. Best to just wait till I'm in Alaska this summer.
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

Yeah Alaska would be way better. Find a mouth of a creek and pick a trail. A bear was hit by a car near Laredo a couple years ago. Crazy- never would have believed it. I spend a lot of time in that area all hours of the day and night.

http://m.lmtonline.com/front-news/artic ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I almost forgot... a few years ago we drew a mule deer hunt at Elephant Mountain (just above Big Bend) and as I came to my pop-up blind one mid-day this guy was heading away from my blind and up the hill. He was a thick healthy black bear. I could show you the little cave he lives in if I had access to the park again, but you'd have to approach it without me!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Hunting in the Chromo Colorado area for elk, I came upon some tracks in the light covering of snow. My dumb , citified, flatlander self said " what goofus is walking around out here barefoot in the snow" milliseconds later it dawned on me, those are bear tracks. Archuleta County Colorado is supposed to have the highest density of bears in Colorado.
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

I have a grizzly bear from Kodiak Island, Alaska on my wall and a cast of his print too. Not sure if you can use that to stamp a cast or not, but if so, you are more than welcome to PM me and give it a try.