Western Elk Guys here?

wavygravy

Western Elk Guys here?

Post by wavygravy »

First off, I apologize if this sounds like a singles ad, making friends is tough. So I've got the bug to try and head out west to CO next fall for archery season, mostly due to the fact that I can do a sweet hunt for elk in CO for the price to pay for crap hunts in TX. I just recently moved to Houston from NC, so I don't have any friends that want to do something like this. Hell, I can't even get them out fishing at 4 am so I sure as hell can't count on them for backpacking.

What I'm wondering is if there's anyone that's already going that would want someone to tag along and help, or if anyone's been thinking about this too and wants to go for it. I'd be happy to meet up for some fishing or beers to get to know everyone since it's no easy undertaking and this is a serious commitment. I'm 29, like waking up at 4 am to go fishing and hunting, and really want to backpack into the mountains of CO for an elk. Let me know!

End of single hunter / fisherman ad
BigEd313

Re: Western Elk Guys here?

Post by BigEd313 »

A buddy of mine from Beaumont goes to Colorado for the start of bow season every year. He hunts a unit that has over the counter tags, so it's public land and you aren't alone there. The good thing is that if you are willing to hike up the mountain a few miles and set up spike camp and hunt out from there, you are not likely to deal with the others that all seem fine with hunting from base camp every day.

I am going to be going up this year for the first time, maybe we can get together and fish and hang out a bit and talk about it. I am going as a guest in their spot so to bring someone "new" to the group (I hunt with them all here in Texas for deer, for years) isn't a for sure thing but we'll see. Just let me know if you're interested.
BigEd313

Post by BigEd313 »

Starting to look over topo maps and plan the trip. We will be there for opening day of bow season and I'll be there for 10 days, plus the drive up and back.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

image.jpeg
Where y'all heading? I go every year to every other year. Telluride, Rico area. Putting in 1st rifle n going bow if no draw. Got some friends I go with that live in that area. We hunt public land, base camp, then spike camp when we find em. Any advice I can give don't hesitate to ask
BigEd313

Post by BigEd313 »

Bowhunt with a buddy that hunts public land not far from Glenwood Springs. We'll do the same, base camp and spike camp up higher for a few days at a time and back down to base camp to refresh and all. I'll be there for 2 weeks but my buddy stays till he get's it out of his system. He mey be there for 2 weeks but he has been to Utah and Colorado (back and forth) for over a month before. I need the Mountain therapy, been almost a year since I've been in the mountains and I'm about to start having withdrawls, lol
BigEd313

Post by BigEd313 »

BTW, that's a nice bull!
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

Thnx; kind of like fishing, hunt hard, in the rt spots, get away from pressured animals, n the work u put in will be rewarded. N if u don't see r get what u want, just being up in that country is reward enough. If it isn't u just don't get it! Go BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wavygravy

Post by wavygravy »

Just getting back around to this one, I'm thinking about Unit 78 in Southern CO. Right now I plan on getting there opening day or the day before and packing in for 5-6 days, probably a break in the middle for a burger and a shower. I'm hoping to find a pack in / out style outfitter I can work with in the unlikely scenario where I get a bull down. Worst case I'm thinking of carrying some cash and waving it in front of some people with horses.

I've been reading everything I can find online, but I'm one of those people that don't have questions until I'm in the thick of it. I'm just hoping with this warm dry winter there will be enough water up there, but we'll have to see come September.