My first cast 'n blast of 2015-2016

Spoonbill

My first cast 'n blast of 2015-2016

Post by Spoonbill »

Because of the high temps I skipped dove and teal, so today (11/7) was my first hunt of the season. Marsh. Saw way more ducks than any hunt last season, so that was exciting. Pintail, spoonies, bluebills, whistling ducks, and bluewings. Lots of big-duck groups I couldn't identify because of distance and dark clouds/rain. Ducks all over but they were generally booking it. Once I switched to fishing the wind and rain finally kicked up and wouldn't you know it the birds dropped to within range. They do that when you case your shotgun.

Hah, wore my neoprenes but it was warm enough early on that I ditched the raingear and chose to get soaked. Temps dropped quick but neoprenes kept the water in my waders warm :) Thought fish would be biting late morning but they didn't. Hooked a nice approx 23" red with a beautiful blue tail but I guess I just didn't set the hook like I should have and lost it close to landing. Least I got a real good look at it.

Came home with two ducks (shoveler and bwt) and a blue crab. Crab was 8" wide and over 17" from claw to claw.