At least the hogs were moving, 10/29

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

At least the hogs were moving, 10/29

Post by Piscator »

My cousin picked me up at 4:00am and we arrived at parking spot in the Angelina Nat Forest around 6:00am. After final pocket loading and putting on the backpacks and headlamps we were off. We had 1.5 and 1.7 miles to go. We split at about a mile and his last words were "I probably will not shoot a hog, maybe a doe if it is after 11:00". We were deer hunting for the big guys. Sitting on stools with gillie suits. I was hearing hogs squealing now and then, so I knew they were out and about. I checked my phone for the time and saw a message at 8:30. "No daytime deer pics. Shot at 3 hogs. Hit 2. They are still here. Come and bring more arrows." I got up put on the backpack, left my stool and some other stuff, and started walking. Six steps and hogs were on the other side of the branch. For the next 30 minutes I was stalking hogs and missed on sow. Saw my cuz on the other side of the next group. I swung around to speed up and get in front of them. Following was not getting it. As I swung back the were turning away and I ended up following again. They finally got spooky so I went back to my cousins area. He had shot at 4 and hit 3. We followed his best hit for 300 yards and found the sow. We walked back and looked for arrows and other blood. The boar looked to be hit in one leg at least. Followed blood for 50 yards and nothing. The other blood trail was almost non existent and probably just a flesh wound. Back to looking for the arrow of the first shoot that deflected. While fanning around I was crossing the first blood trail, I thought, until he said something about a rub we saw earlier that the first blood trail went by. I looked over and thought "Well if that blood trail is over there, then what blood trail am I on?" Apparently the arrow deflected into a hog. We followed it, found the back half of the arrow we looking for and then a dead sow. Four blood trails and 2 hogs.

After dragging, de-boning, and loading backpacks (heavy backpacks) we saw more hogs. I drop mine and take off. After a few minutes of stalking on a group of about 30, I made a great 20 yard shot on a sow. She ran and the others stopped and started feeding. Two boars were fighting over a sow in heat so I started after them. One boar spooked and the other was behind fallen branch. I was behind 6 inch pine at about 20 yards. He was starring me down and growling. This went on for 4 or 5 minutes. He would turn on way the the other, but would not come out from behind the branch. Finally he walked off and I gave up. Already had too much meat to carry. My cousin said your pig is over there, finish it off. We walked up and I could not believe the ground shrinkage. I said there is no way that is the one I shot at. I made a perfect hit, not in the hams. I did remember seeing my arrow run off with the pig. I went back, found my arrow, and followed the blood trail to that little pig, but 15 yards yards further lay the sow. I got two with one arrow. The arrow passed through the first and nearly passed through the little one that I did not see. After more filleting of hogs were on the trail with 50 pound backpacks and 1.75 miles to go. We left stools and gillie suits behind in garbage bags to save weight. At 61 years old I am wondering if I am getting too old for this. nah.

Can not wait to get back.
Attachments
Hog1.jpg
Hog2.jpg
Hog3.jpg
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: At least the hogs were moving, 10/29

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Great job you boys went HOG WILD! Good post enjoyed the read.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Great read for sure. Thank you

You guys have a APH permit?
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Hunting is fun when it is actually hunting.

Do not need a APH permit for National Forest Land. This is not a Wildlife Management Area of the TPWD.

You do have to apply for a doe permit with the National Forest Service to harvest a doe during the general season.
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Uh, I've always been told you need annual public lands permit for any national forest. Better make sure.
Rig'emNGig'em

Post by Rig'emNGig'em »

Looks like an awesome hunt, we were scouting in the Sam Houston a few weeks back a jumped a boar in some thick brush and then had some piglets and their momma walk out not 10 yards from us in a creek bottom.

The Public Hunting Booklet is a little unclear about the APH and whether you need it out in Angelina. It was my understanding that you needed it for all USFS or public lands but they only list the Sam Houston and few other small USFS tracts

"Only hunters are required to possess the $48 Annual Public
Hunting (APH) Permit.
The U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Units are: Unit 901
(Caddo Grasslands), Unit 902 (Moore Plantation),
Unit 903 (Bannister), Unit 904 (Alabama Creek), and
Unit 905 (Sam Houston National Forest)."
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

The Bannister WMA is within the Angelina National Forest. The TPWD advises wildlife management for that unit and you must have the TPWD Annual Hunting Permit for the Bannister Unit only. The rest of the Angelina National Forest is 'open' to hunt without the permit. The USFS does add restrictions on taking does during the regular season which overrides the county regs.

Same is true for any of the other units that may lie within a National Forest, such as Moore Plantation in the Sabine National Forest.

The Sam Houston National Forest and WMA is one whole area, so the APH would be required since the SHNF is the WMA unit.

Unfortunately, in our area the horse riding, dog running hog hunters will be in there soon and run everything off. It is legal since they do not carry firearms.
Rig'emNGig'em

Post by Rig'emNGig'em »

Thanks thats good info. Do you ever hunt any of the small texas public land tracts requiring the APH over that way? Now that gun season is getting started the Sam is gonna be a war zone for the next couple of weeks and Ill need to find a new area till things quiet down a bit.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

We Hunted some units in Newton county. However, those units are archery only now. Moore Plantation and Bannister are good units and big enough to spread out.