no tag in Wyoming

Salty Bum

no tag in Wyoming

Post by Salty Bum »

:cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: i did not get drawn this year for my mule deer hunt in Region B - i have two more chances in two other states
SumtingFishy

Re: no tag in Wyoming

Post by SumtingFishy »

If you're looking for a backup hunt in Wyoming, try buying a leftover Pronghorn Tag. We didn't get drawn a few years ago (for a mule deer hunt) and ended up buying a leftover tag for unit 21. They run under $300 and there's usually quite a few leftover in some units.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

Seems like bad luck all the way around! Didn't get my smokepole CO elk either; but there is always OTC archery elk in CO!!!
SumtingFishy

Post by SumtingFishy »

Squatch wrote:Seems like bad luck all the way around! Didn't get my smokepole CO elk either; but there is always OTC archery elk in CO!!!
There's also OTC Rifle Bull Elk in some units. I hunted Mule Deer in 71/711 last year and it was an OTC Bull Elk unit. You can hunt both units with that tag. I never saw any elk personally, (did see sign), but my dad ran across a herd while deer hunting. I dont' think these units hold a lot of big trophy elk, but they are there.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

That's usually the areas I hunt n on the otc bow tag. There are some beasts out there just got to get away from the crowd. Top 1/4 of the mtns, north slope, saddles, secluded green grass, side ridges. Gotten 320's, been wrkn a 360+ for the past 2 years; we call him "El Juapo" but he's a smart old man.
SumtingFishy

Post by SumtingFishy »

Squatch wrote:That's usually the areas I hunt n on the otc bow tag. There are some beasts out there just got to get away from the crowd. Top 1/4 of the mtns, north slope, saddles, secluded green grass, side ridges. Gotten 320's, been wrkn a 360+ for the past 2 years; we call him "El Juapo" but he's a smart old man.
Ok cool. Yeah those are typically good units. I went last year after hearing about some success from friends of ours. Turns out last year ended up being a HORRIBLE year for mule deer hunting during the 3rd Rifle (in 711) anyway. Out of about 20 people, only myself and another killed a deer (mine was a last day "meat buck.) I talked to several other groups of guys that had the same results. The weather was what killed it for us. It hadn't snowed much so the deer weren't down out of the mountains yet. I've always wanted to hunt elk, but due to some lung issues, I'm going to have to find some lower-elevation elk. lol