Public Land Hog

artman23

Public Land Hog

Post by artman23 »

I was given the opportunity to hunt a great track of land after being drawn for a hog hunt at Nannie Stringfellow WMA. I was thrilled to have been drawn, being that this was my first year to put in for public hunts, and the fact that this would be my first big game hunt since I lost my lease last year. So I prepped my gear, sighted my rifle and headed out.

After a short orientation I was assigned a hunting area and given a map showing my boundaries. I took the warden's advice and walked my area to see if a hog presented itself. The terrain was different from what I was used to seeing in south Texas, with lots of green grass, dark mud, and tons of thick hardwood forest.
As I quietly walked down a trail I began to hear a rustle, which shortly turned into full blown ruckus that included what sounded to me as a small tree falling. I took a knee and waited, trying to figure out what I was hearing. The noise was so loud I thought I had to be other hunters setting up a ground blind. After a few minutes of waiting I decided to walk into the thicker cover towards the noise. I quietly traveled in, making sure each step was taken with the most care avoiding twigs and dried leaves. The noise that was undoubtedly present now turned into an occasional leaf crackling. I traveled in about 100yards and movement caught my eye. I tried to use my binoculars, but they were obsolete; I was too close and couldn't find them in my field of view. I closely watched and saw movement again, this time getting a better look. They were piglets jumping over a small log. I scanned the area looking for the momma. I found her she was about 10 yards from me rooting a rotten log. I raised my rifle and looked thru the scope, "damn", I had the power all the way up and couldn't find her. At this point I began to panic a bit thinking they were going to smell me or hear me while I maneuvered trying to get a clear shot. I had never been this close to a really large hog, I would put her around 200 lbs. I hastily give the scope magnification a half turn, not enough reduction, locate her in the brush, and do my best to place the cross hairs in the vitals. I hold my breath and pull the trigger. Instantly 10-15 hogs bust out of their cover and make a run for it. Before that I had only put eyes on two pigs. I can see that I didn't drop the animal so I moved in to see if I could locate a blood trail. At that moment I had another first in the field happen. I was standing over the location where I shot the hog, when a hear a loud and very deep growl behind me. I turn to look and I see boar standing where I had just been seconds prior, looking at me. If it had not growled, It never would have known it was there. Its amazing how quietly they can move thru the brush. It took a few steps forward, stopped and growled again. I stepped up on a fallen tree and raised my rifle, damn, the magnification is still too high. I watch it slowly trot away, glad it didn't come at me. I began to look for signs of a hit. I find two tiny specs of blood on the ground and begin to search. I move in the direction in which I saw the pig run and find a small bone fragment but very little to no blood. I continue my search for about two hours with no more evidence or luck. I decided to abandon my search and head towards a blind that was on the property to finish the day out. Other than a bunch of does hanging around I didn't have any more action.

The next morning had rain in the forecast so I decided to sit in the blind. The morning was slow with just the group of does and a skunk coming around. I did develop a pain in stomach though, no big deal. I went into town to get lunch and picked up some pepto tablets to help with my stomach.

I didn't feel up to a walk and stalk hunt so I went into my blind early and waited. The afternoon was long and my stomach pain continued. Just before sun down the usual group deer came out. I watched them for a bit and then noticed them looking at me. I thought I had been made so I reduced my movement in the blind and watched them bob their heads and perk their ears. I look to my left and to my surprise there stands a pig, forty yards out, acting weary. She stood still looking out into the field, constantly sniffing the air, trying to figure out what was different. I slowly begin to raise my gun trying to not be noticed. I turn my magnification to the lowest setting and place my sights on the pig. I begin looking for a shot behind the ear patiently waiting for her to stand still. She takes a quarter turn and looks directly at me. I place the cross hairs between the eyes and decide to take the shot. I hear the thump of impact and she drops hard. She squirms a bit but expires quickly. I have a downed pig.

I wait a couple of min and then jump out the bling to go see my kill. A fat, fat sow. I go to get my jeep and begin to devise a plan to load her onto my hitch rack. At this point the pain in my stomach is getting much worse, but I know the quicker I load her the quicker I can clean her and go home, so I work thru the pain. I devise a plan to incher up and into the rack. After a while and a full blown sweat in 38 degree weather she's on rack and I'm on my way to check her in. When I arrive to the station the other hunters that were there help me unload her and put her on a scale. She weighed in at 180lbs. I quickly got her dressed, informed the other hunters that I wont be back the next morning, and I made my way back to Houston.

That night I came to the conclusion that my stomach pain was bad enough so I took myself to the ER. After a quick CAT scan I was I was told my appendix was swollen but unruptured and that I was going to be prepped for surgery. A couple hours later a was back in my room recovering. Over all it was a great couple of days. I am very thankful that I was able to hunt and experience an on foot stalk\hunt. The weather was perfect and the scenery was great. I had been longing for a good hike. I am thankful that I was able to harvest an animal on that hunt. I am thankful that I listened to my body and took myself into the ER, and I am thankful surgery went well and am healing quickly.
Attachments
20150225_194112.jpg
20150308_201710.jpg
20150308_201635.jpg
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Public Land Hog

Post by Mythman »

Good story...............I enjoyed it! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Man, that looks delicious!
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Wow, that story has some twists.
Congrats on the pork! I've been wanting to hunt that area.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Awesome story :clap: Its making me want to go look around in the pasture tonight.Its good to see you count your blessings.

Have another Blessed Day!