Leakey, Tx Axis

Bradw693

Leakey, Tx Axis

Post by Bradw693 »

My brother came in from Alaska this week for business and wanted to do a little hunting before the business started. We left Brazoria for Leakey, Tx around 0600 and got to Leakey around noon on Friday. My Dad has been hunting with a guide there for the past 2 years who has great prices on Axis. This trip was solely a meat hunt and no one intended hunting for horns. The trip included myself, my gf, dad, brother, nephew, and my brother's business partner/best friend. On Friday Evening's hunt I got to the stand around 1630 and around 1800 after the feeder went off, a decent doe stepped out followed by her fawn so I decided to just watch them eat instead of taking her down so she can raise her little one. I tried to get a decent picture of her through the scope which will be posted below. That evening my brother's friend was the only one to take one down. My girlfriend said she saw a nice buck in velvet in a large herd that was at least 34"-35" and had her eyes focused on him and was going to bite the bullet and pay a little extra for that spread but she never got a good shot at it. The next morning was slow for me only seeing a herd of about 5 moving quickly through a field about 300 yards away and never stopped for a shot but my brother saw a large herd come through his feeder and sadly had a misfire and did not get a shot off, simply a click of the hammer dropping with no fire which caused the herd to run off. Needless to say he was pissed but we figured out why the gun malfunctioned which was due to him hunting with an AR platform and not fully cycling the charging handle. For an 8 year ARMY vet with two tours, people still make mistakes.... I told him to bring a bolt action next time haha. Saturday evenings hunt was slow for me and didn't see any axis. The guide picked me up and we decided we wanted to finish our hunt that night so we could drive Sunday morning, therefore we took spotlighting axis to our advantage (Only in TEXAS)! I spotted a herd about 70 yards away and as soon as she picked her head up to look, I took a neck shot and dropped her. Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone or camera so I didn't get a pic before I cleaned her but she had a nice coat which I intend to get tanned. While I was cleaning my fat girl, my gf and bro went back out and came back an hour later with two more nice doe.

It ended up being a great weekend! Everyone who wanted an Axis doe got one and I got to spend the weekend with family in the beautiful hill country.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 11.16.18 AM.png
Bradw693

Re: Leakey, Tx Axis

Post by Bradw693 »

My brother's
Attachments
image.jpg
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Leakey, Tx Axis

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Great hunt and good job. That right there is some serious good eats.