Public Hunting Areas

Rig'emNGig'em

Public Hunting Areas

Post by Rig'emNGig'em »

Ive been trying to get back into hunting after taking a few years off but have never hunted here in Texas. I wanted to see if anyone had been hunting on either the Sam Houston or Davy Crockett National Forests? Im primarily looking for pigs this time of year, but wasnt sure if these areas are over hunted or super crowded and I was wasting my time. I know driving around the Sam Houston the other weekend I saw 4 hunters going into the woods within a mile of each other, is this the norm?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Public Hunting Areas

Post by Yaklash »

It's been years since I hunted on public lands. Reason being, my experience has been mostly bad.

East Texas public land deer hunting wasn't productive (over harvested) - one deer in 6 or 7 trips - and surprisingly crowded. I was raised to not hunt near others and especially not strangers and the thought of someone else entering the woods with a rifle within a half mile of me gave me the shivers. Even amongst friends, there are people that were not taught real good hunting practices or gun safety.

Hall's Bayou for duck and geese. Pretty darn good bird numbers, but an insane number of hunters. Proximity can be closer with shotguns than with rifles, but people would get so stacked up close to solid ground (if you wanted to get away from others it involved 100s of yards of slogging through muddy marsh) the dumb@$$es that can't wait for birds to get within range get to sky busting and never let any birds get close enough for the smart ones to even take a shot (dang impatient hunters). I also got rained on a few times with BBs.

Since I stopped hunting public lands and now stay on private property or limited leases - guided or not - I have much more productive and enjoyable hunts. I'm not going back because I can afford to hunt away from the general public. Not sure that is an issue for you,

But I could see how pig hunting on public land might be different in some ways, but I gotta say, with the number of land owners in Texas who have serious pig problems, I would bet you could find someone who'd love for you to go to their place and do some eradication.
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

I get the APH and hunt those lands, plus refuges and public waters from bays to lakes to rivers & creeks. Mostly for ducks but sometimes squirrel and dove. I'll go from Orange to Matagorda, and a good ways up I-45. Yes, there are plenty of good spots for deer and hog. Yes, you may well end up finding too many people at the place you want, you just have to deal with it or pick days when there won't be as many.

Earlier this month I was squirrel hunting and stumbled up on some hogs. Kicked myself because just that morning I saw my slugs but decided to leave them at home. Ended up crossing paths with some hogs. 6 of them bedded down and I got to within 45 feet of them. Wasn't going to shoot them with my #6's :/
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

You need the APH permit to hunt those national forests. I've heard there are a scary # of hunters during deer season but I'd think you'd be safe now if the hog season continues after deer season ends. Going during the week would have far fewer hunters than weekends. Get ahold of the Big Thicket National Preserve. They may have hog hunting after deer season and it's FREE! No APH needed, just a permit.
Rig'emNGig'em

Post by Rig'emNGig'em »

Thanks guys, Im gonna try and just hit it mid week and see if I can bring home the bacon before the season ends next month. I did check out big thicket and its archery and shotgun only and no centerfire rifles.