Best Waterfowl Kayak

FreshSalt09

Best Waterfowl Kayak

Post by FreshSalt09 »

Hey guys. I've really started to get into duck hunting big time over the past couple years. So much to the point that its a huge consideration while i'm looking to my next kayak. I currently have a Jackson Cuda 14 and it was great when I was fishing the reservoir but now that i'm fishing backwater or setting decoys in a muddy pond, it's just too heavy and cumbersome. I'm really looking for a good all around fishing and hunting boat. Something that tracks decent, doesn't turn like an 18 wheeler, is easier to manage by myself and has enough topside storage for a decoy bag to sit stable.

I'm really looking hard at the Native Ultimate 12/FX12. Its very light and pretty open for storage. My only concern is how it handles in skinny water. Some of the ponds I hunt are about 4-6" of water until you get about 25' away from shore and you'll sink to your nipples in mud before you make it out to deeper water. The Cuda has done fine in these conditions but with the canoe/kayak hybrid design of the Ultimate, its a concern of mine.

The NuCanoe Frontier 12 has also caught my eye. The openness of the deck, the casting bar and duck hunting accessories are really appealing. The only concern I have with the Frontier is the weight. At 77lbs unloaded, i'm back in the same boat I was in with the Cuda. The Cuda was a beast to drag through the mud loaded down and after all day fishing or hunting, loading it up onto the truck rack was a nightmare for one guy. On the other hand, with it being 2' shorter than the Jackson, I might be able to just throw it in the bed of the truck with the tailgate up.

Just wanted to get your guys opinion and see what you're paddling.

Thanks,
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: Best Waterfowl Kayak

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

either an ultimate 12 or commander 120 from WS. I'd lean more toward the WS only because the storage is a little better than the ultimate. that and it will track better and be a little faster since the hull is more streamlined without sacrificing too much stability. I could stand and fish in either with ease. if not any sit inside will be easier than you think. just add a light pole, like a visicarbon pro and some pad eyes to strap a decoy bag on the back.

here's some pics of my rig that i got from rico on here.....she aint purdy but she puts out 8)
camoyak1.jpg
camoyak2.jpg
camoyak3.jpg
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Jackson Realtree Kilroy is what gets it done for me.
Attachments
10704104_10101112063298418_6454476370131935272_n.jpg
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I may have seen a finer pile o' hens somewhere but I can't remember when. ;)
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

I hunt out of my 11.5 WS Ride. Just hang a dozen dekes on the back, shotgun in the hatch, and go to work. I drape some blind material over the ends and clip it to a bent piece of 1/2"pvc for a blind. easy easy. I can sleep at least 30 minutes longer than my buddies who go out in a boat.
DucksUnlimitedkayaker

Post by DucksUnlimitedkayaker »

I only hunt from kayaks or use yaks to get me to my spots. Over the years I have used and Old Town loon sit in side, wildy ride 135, Ok trident 13, Hobie Pro Angler 12 and most recently Diablo Paddlesports Amigo and Adios. I can say hands down the best yak for this I have experienced is the Diablo. They offer a blind for their yaks which I own but also made my own layout blind. I have loaded down up to 550+ lbs in my boat and can still scoot through very shallow mud flats as well as say it is just as stable as if it had no gear in it at all. I have stood and shot from it (chasing down cripples) and never felt shaky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMdfZ5SI7k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSZYt3jTkI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Know it's after season but the Native Slayer 14.5 preformed well this year and of course the old war horse Magic 14.5 if you can find one.

Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Now why do you have to go posting up pics like that when the season is so far away?
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Russ, not cool.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Oh you girls chill be October before ya know it!:wink:
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Come on September!
FlounderPounder15

Post by FlounderPounder15 »

Counting Down the days....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Your already on the right track with the Frontier 12 Gear and dog are not a problem. you wont wind up in the water over the dog moving around. I load mine in the back of my Megacab with a 6' bed with the tailgate up. it sits on my tool box that's level with the bed. Then go fishing with Mom or a kiddo just by sliding in the extra seat.

Have A Blessed Day!