Secret hog potion (bait)

jdavid1139

Secret hog potion (bait)

Post by jdavid1139 »

Hey everyone. I have some land out near fentress TX, and have had to land some hogs for farmer's sake. :) I am new to hogging in a trap, and I looked online for a few tips, and put some corn in a water bath, let it spoil, then put some kool aid in. Man, I had 3 hogs in the trap, and 2 outside trying to get in! Anyone else have some unique hog bait?
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Secret hog potion (bait)

Post by Barnacle Bill »

jdavid1139 wrote:Hey everyone. I have some land out near fentress TX, and have had to land some hogs for farmer's sake. :) I am new to hogging in a trap, and I looked online for a few tips, and put some corn in a water bath, let it spoil, then put some kool aid in. Man, I had 3 hogs in the trap, and 2 outside trying to get in! Anyone else have some unique hog bait?

Strawberry jam and marshmallows.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Left over grease from the kitchen mess. Scent last a long time in and around the traps.
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

I read that actually using diesel in the ground and.let it soak in below the trap. The hogs love the smell of it and tear up the ground. I haven't confirmed this yet so use with caution in case of a spoof.
jdavid1139

Post by jdavid1139 »

Left over Bacon Grease! Fantastic idea! Thanks.
jdavid1139

Post by jdavid1139 »

Also, for all you hog cookers, I saw an old (wiser) man put the hog in water, drain it over 3 days each once a day to drain as much blood as possible, and then smoke it for 8 hours. Best pork I've ever had, and I have only said that once. ;-). It tasted like steak. Crazy, and the rub was called Bullsh*t. haha.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Fishinintx wrote:I read that actually using diesel in the ground and.let it soak in below the trap. The hogs love the smell of it and tear up the ground. I haven't confirmed this yet so use with caution in case of a spoof.
This is true. Done it. Just dont put it on your bait,unless you enjoy petro pork. Jell-o and scraps also do the trick.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Corn, water, and a few packs strawberry jello. Let sit for at least a few days. 2 weeks + is better, but it doesn't matter as much if the hogs are already coming to the spot. I dig 2-3 ft holes with a fence post digger, fill, cover the top with dirt, and let them go at it. I use this method to pick them off with nightvision rather than the trap lately. Just stocked venison/hog sausage for the year :) . I paddle the SM River near Fentress quite often. I see lots of hogs there almost every time I'm out around dusk. The place seems loaded with them.
dwilliams35
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by dwilliams35 »

Warthog wrote:Corn, water, and a few packs strawberry jello. Let sit for at least a few days. 2 weeks + is better, but it doesn't matter as much if the hogs are already coming to the spot. I dig 2-3 ft holes with a fence post digger, fill, cover the top with dirt, and let them go at it. .
Same thing, but use two beers. Put one in the mix, drink the other. The beer helps the fermenting.

Also, I've been using the "Hog Wild" powder: pretty much the same thing as the jello, but essentially a bulk container: a bit easier to deal with than jacking with all those little packets, and reasonably priced.
Taz

Post by Taz »

For initial attraction all of the above will work ( never tried the diesel and don't plan to ). I usually use the " Hog Wild " attractant but anything that smells strongly will attract them.
Once they know where it is, it's not necessary to use anything but dry corn. They will come down wind and check for it on an established trap.
I've had mine in the same place for about 4 years without moving it ( about 20 yards from one of my deer feeders). I use a drop gate trap, keep the feeder going once in morning for @ 4 seconds year round and only pour extra corn in the trap and set the gate when I want some hogs. I've probably caught 50 hogs over 4 years and could have caught a lot more if I wanted them. I shoot them right in the trap and process on the lease to an ice chest.
The blood in the trap does reduce deer visits to the feeder for about a week, but you can usually catch hogs within 2 days if you want to. :dance:
Heck......I've gotten to where I like the hog meat so much (especially the sows) that I don't really hunt the deer much. Freezer isn't big enough for both.
Update advice: I sometimes put a little corn in the trap and don't set the gate, this will will give the bigger hogs confidence seeing the smaller ones go in and not get caught. If you do this as a warm-up bait be sure not to put too much in (maybe 2 to 3 pounds) because you don't want to fill them up and have them skip a day. Then when you want to catch them put in at least 20-30 pounds of dry corn and sharpen your knife. The work will start when you check it in the morning.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

For initial attraction all of the above will work ( never tried the diesel and don't plan to

You most likely are the only person in the state of Texas who does not use diesel, how come????????????????????????????
Taz

Post by Taz »

Try reading the MSDS for diesel. Not exactly environmentally friendly.
Don't really care about eating anything that's ingested it.
When those hogs are rooting on the ground they ingest the dirt too.
Last edited by Taz on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Taz wrote:Try reading the MSDS for diesel. Not exactly environmentally friendly.
Don't really care about eating anything that's ingested it.
When those hogs are rooting on the ground they ingest the dirt too.
Didn't say it wouldn't attract, just never plan on using it myself.
Diesel is used to keep squirrels, coons, possums , doves and the all of the critters out of the traps.

I did manufacturer diesel in a prior life.
Taz

Post by Taz »

FishDFly wrote: Diesel is used to keep squirrels, coons, possums , doves and the all of the critters out of the traps.

I did manufacturer diesel in a prior life.
Once the hogs find it, them other critters don't stand a chance. Ok, I'll give the coons their due, but with the feeder located about 20 yards away as mentioned they are usually over at the feeder robbing it out of habit. I actually have pictures somewhere (I'll look) that shows a coon standing on a boar hogs back robbing a feeder. That's right ........ Working together.
Should have made a tee-shirt with it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Taz on Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I know any kind of sweet soft drink mixed with corn does the trick. Something sweet like ginger ale or Big Red works great. To keep deer and other critters off of it, mix some hog urine in with it.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
jdavid1139 wrote:Hey everyone. I have some land out near fentress TX, and have had to land some hogs for farmer's sake. :) I am new to hogging in a trap, and I looked online for a few tips, and put some corn in a water bath, let it spoil, then put some kool aid in. Man, I had 3 hogs in the trap, and 2 outside trying to get in! Anyone else have some unique hog bait?

Strawberry jam and marshmallows.
Make that raspberry and they'll have to wait for me to finish
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

There are no true secret formulas to bait hogs, if there was, that would the only one everyone used.
GatorSnatcher

Post by GatorSnatcher »

Lone Star Beer soaked corn has always been my go to if I want to get hogs that night. Digging a hole about 18" deep and filling it to the top with the fermented frothiness has delivered 9 times out of 10 for me. It brings the big ones in to investigate more quickly than anything else I've used.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

jdavid1139, thank you very much for the "old wise man" compliment, I could,actually use that a bit more often........cC