Duck report

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Duck report

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Well, I've been doing a lot of waterfowl hunting. This is my first year of really getting into it. I've been extremely fortunate in that I moved to a 10,000 acre ranch and my wife, daughter and I are the only ones that live on it. There are plenty of ponds to hunt on. There is also the river that is about 40 yards from my back door. Typically I'm deer hunting but I've really enjoyed duck hunting and besides, we cull so many deer that it isn't really "hunting". I do go stalk deer with a bow on the state hunting land that borders the ranch though.

Anyway, back to the duck hunting.

This is my first year of really getting into it. I haven't used decoys and the only call I had was one of those 6 in 1 calls. Now I have a 6 in 1, a pintail call and a mallard call.... Yesterday I bought 8 decoys. It's been a wonderful and fun learning experience and if it wasn't for DU's website with the "how-to", I'd still be looking to bag my first duck.

On my way to hunt with a buddy on my first outing, he asked me, "Do you like liver?".. I said, "No, neither me nor my wife or daughter like liver."... He said, "Then you won't like duck." Well, I've eaten duck in restaurants that didn't taste like liver.

Anyway, I got some cooking advice on FB from folks like Capt Jack. None of my duck tastes like liver. I soak it either in saltwater or buttermilk the night before I cook it.

Below is a photo of some duck that I cooked. I like to cook it medium rare and make duck fajitas. That has been my favorite so far. I also make duck poppers which is duck, jalapeno and bacon which I grill. I like to sometimes make the poppers, dip them in buttermilk, dip them in seasoned flour, dip them again in buttermilk and then again in the seasoned flour and deep fry them. I’ve learned that you need to use a healthy chunk of duck or the frying will overcook it.

I also like to take jalapenos and stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese, shrimp, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, seasoned salt and chives. I pipe some mixture into the bottom of the jalapeno then I put in a chunk of duck or a lil smokey and then pipe more mixture in around and over it. Put them on the grill for a bit and voila’…

I love that I get to go duck hunting every day if I want to and the awesome variety of ducks that are out here in west Texas always make it a fun day. So far I have killed Gadwall drakes and hens, Mallard hen, Green Teal drakes and hens, Widgeon drake and hen and Pintail drakes and hens. I really want to get a wood duck drake and a mallard drake. I'm sure you get more species of ducks on the coast and in east Texas.

So, I’ll stop with the long winded post and just put up some photos.
Attachments
duck alone.jpg
cooked duck.jpg
3 ducks.jpg
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Duck report

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Some more.
Attachments
limit.jpg
Gadwall.jpg
ducks on the lake.jpg
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Some of the places that I hunt.
Attachments
view.jpg
view 2.jpg
tank.jpg
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Yeah, you can go thru a lot of buttermilk eating wild duck :lol: . You probably won't see wood ducks around there. They go for old, tall, hardwood stands, preferably near a body of water.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Yaklash wrote:Yeah, you can go thru a lot of buttermilk eating wild duck :lol: . You probably won't see wood ducks around there. They go for old, tall, hardwood stands, preferably near a body of water.

We have tons of wood ducks up here. We see them all of the time and we set up about 50 wood duck boxes every year for them in the state park along the river.