Amazing antler growth

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Amazing antler growth

Post by Prof. Salt »

I found a thread out there at another location of a ranch that grows crazy-big deer. Two photos they posted show the potential of what ideal nutrition can do for deer. The first photo is of the deer's first set of horns, when he lived around the camp. The second photo is of the deer at 6 years old, and this is not considered a mature deer yet for this ranch. Wow.

Granted, I have never witnessed a 1.5 yr old deer that was a ten point, but I've seen some little eights that age. There is no way I could afford to feed the deer this stuff, or a ranch large enough to keep the deer around without them getting shot as 2 year olds, but just seeing what is possible kinda brings out the dreamer in me. I still don't have much interest in killing deer that hang around a protein candy machine, but the idea of what deer can do in perfect conditions is amazing.

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Amazing growth

Post by Fin-Addict »

Link??
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showt ... ?t=1190298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if posting a link from a similar site is cool or not (pardon the pun), so if it's not let me know and I will remove it. One thing is for sure - that thread will give you all the antler pics (and a few videos) you could want.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Think high fence and spending lots of $$$ on feed.......but it will work!
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Amazing antler growth

Post by on a mission »

Prof. Salt wrote:I found a thread out there at another location of a ranch that grows crazy-big deer. Two photos they posted show the potential of what ideal nutrition can do for deer. The first photo is of the deer's first set of horns, when he lived around the camp. The second photo is of the deer at 6 years old, and this is not considered a mature deer yet for this ranch. Wow.

Granted, I have never witnessed a 1.5 yr old deer that was a ten point, but I've seen some little eights that age. There is no way I could afford to feed the deer this stuff, or a ranch large enough to keep the deer around without them getting shot as 2 year olds, but just seeing what is possible kinda brings out the dreamer in me. I still don't have much interest in killing deer that hang around a protein candy machine, but the idea of what deer can do in perfect conditions is amazing.

Having seen this in person , i can only say without ruffling feathers is that i only hunt Natural low/no fence for the rest of life. Sorry , no feeders for me. (And yes, lots of times no harvest)Kinda makes one tune in more. Nice buck for sure!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I love me some shoot and release deer hunting! This is the third time I have shot this 2 1/2 year old buck, but this is the biggest he's been so far. I shot another two weeks earlier that outscored this one by 30 points (228).

Interesting that I saw this thread just before I sat down to transfer some goodies back to storage tonight. And good nutrition helps as well. :D

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

If I had lots of land available I would prefer to set up on trails and funnels and ambush deer as they carry on their natural activities. On a little 50 acre piece with little natural attraction for the deer, feeders are the only way to get them to come over so we use them. My hunting boils down to meat hunting, but like everyone I enjoy more antlers when I can find them. We are asked not to shoot any does because there are no resident bucks ...the only reason we ever see them is because they get randy and come looking for the ladies.

I'm not knocking high fences or more control of a deer population; whether I prefer it or not it's just not within my grasp. I'm just very glad I have access to hunting property!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Perhaps the most ironic thing to happen in my life was being offered a job to manage a deer breeding facility. :D I love working with the animals and get to see some pretty cool stuff. But hunting these animals for trophies sake would not be up my alley. I don't judge another's desire to hunt them, but I won't be an active part of it...as in a guide.

Darting is a big part of what I do...to medicate, to immobilize for medical treatment, immobilize bucks for semen draws, sawing antlers etc. With some deer the hardest part is trying to maintain enough distance to carry out the darting procedure. :lol: Others...well not so easy. The buck pictured took two different days and five hours. Like hunting, it involves strategy, skill and dumb luck. And for some reason I have never had buck fever while darting a big buck. But I do get that adrenaline rush when it's done. :D
johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnboy »

Terry your thumb looks like ship!! Your going to loose that nail???
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

johnboy wrote:Terry your thumb looks like ship!! Your going to loose that nail???
In the process. :D Fawn kicked me last September during weaning.
johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnboy »

Bigrock wrote:
johnboy wrote:Terry your thumb looks like ship!! Your going to loose that nail???
In the process. :D Fawn kicked me last September during weaning.

Well I guess it was better then a poke in the eye with a stick?? :P
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Prof. Salt wrote:I found a thread out there at another location of a ranch that grows crazy-big deer. Two photos they posted show the potential of what ideal nutrition can do for deer.
Yeah, nutrition is good - even vital - for antler growth, but all the nutrition in the world can't change a spike to a 10-point.

That there is a genetically "gifted" buck.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

johnboy wrote:Well I guess it was better then a poke in the eye with a stick??
Had that happen too, so yes, a bruised thumbnail is better. :P :P
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Yaklash wrote:That there is a genetically "gifted" buck.

I'll agree wholeheartedly with that....
Yaklash wrote: Yeah, nutrition is good - even vital - for antler growth, but all the nutrition in the world can't change a spike to a 10-point.
....but I'll disagree with some of this statement. A genetically predisposed spike will be hard to change. But all spikes are not genetically predisposed to remain small. Some factors like late birth, illness of doe or fawn, will cause poor antler growth the first year. Also deer (like people) reach their maximum potential at different rates. some grow big early and taper off in later years, some start slowly and gain big in later years and some progress consistently throughout their life. In management, folks will cull the spike in favor of the 6 or 8 point. Makes sense, but I would suggest that not culling any yearlings would make more sense. Got a 4 year old spike...shoot him...more than once. :D
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Yaklash wrote:
Prof. Salt wrote:I found a thread out there at another location of a ranch that grows crazy-big deer. Two photos they posted show the potential of what ideal nutrition can do for deer.
Yeah, nutrition is good - even vital - for antler growth, but all the nutrition in the world can't change a spike to a 10-point.

Saw a segment on the TPW show that comes on and it was about deer and antler growth. They showed sets of horns from different bucks from 1 year till death and showed the development each year. One hard conclusion that came up with after years of study, was that good nutrition helps, but won't guarantee a big deer or big horns. They said that genetics played the big part. Some spikes, though fed the best of food, never developed big racks at any age. In conclusion: big deer and big racks owe genetics for the cause. I do agree though, that supplemental feeding is a good thing, it can't help but make healthier deer.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bigrock wrote:
Yaklash wrote: Yeah, nutrition is good - even vital - for antler growth, but all the nutrition in the world can't change a spike to a 10-point.
....but I'll disagree with some of this statement. A genetically predisposed spike will be hard to change. But all spikes are not genetically predisposed to remain small. Some factors like late birth, illness of doe or fawn, will cause poor antler growth the first year. Also deer (like people) reach their maximum potential at different rates. some grow big early and taper off in later years, some start slowly and gain big in later years and some progress consistently throughout their life. In management, folks will cull the spike in favor of the 6 or 8 point. Makes sense, but I would suggest that not culling any yearlings would make more sense. Got a 4 year old spike...shoot him...more than once. :D
I refer to a yearling and 1-1/2 year olds with spikes as a "nubbin' bucks" & "first years," respectively; and would never shoot either.
A spike is what I call a male white tail that is obviously on his second or later set of antlers that are usually each a single on each side and under 6" or 8," and not normal; an obvious genetic spike. I have probably shot 4 times more spikes in my lifetime than regular bucks. There has always been money or alcohol incentives for taking spikes on the ranches and leases I've hunted and they taste the same to me.

Buddy of mine shot a deer in Alabama this season that was an older deer, probably over 5 years old (he did not check it by teeth) and it was a weird-looking spike - almost like an atypical spike. Big body, weird, ugly rack. I have some pics I'll add, but it looks to me like an obviously a genetic spike.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
kyle1974

Post by kyle1974 »

Yaklash wrote:

really? a yearling spike will never become a 10 pointer?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kyle1974 wrote:
Yaklash wrote:

really? a yearling spike will never become a 10 pointer?
I didn't say that and in a follow-up post above, I defined what I think is a spike vs a nubbin' buck. Can't shoot a yearling and I don't consider those little nubbins to be antlers. Their first set of real antlers is, most of the time, a good indication of what they might become, or never become.
kyle1974

Post by kyle1974 »

A yearling is not a fawn.... it's a 1 year old deer. And a lot of folks would disagree that you determine a deer at 1 year of age.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

kyle1974 wrote:A yearling is not a fawn.... it's a 1 year old deer. And a lot of folks would disagree that you determine a deer at 1 year of age.
Yearlings taste good also.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Full Circle (orange 360) at 1 year old and 2 years old this past November. He was a middle August fawn, so he doesn't even qualify for the 1/2 year status. :D

Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

This is a 5 month old buck fawn (nubbin' buck) taken in mid October. His antlers have since hardened and he now has hardened, visible points of less than 1 inch. He will shed those points before growing his yearling antlers. Others in the pen have remained as "nubbins" and the growth pedicle will simply expand from those "nubbin" points.

GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

Prof. Salt I believe Mont from 2cool and Mr. Stubbs are friends. A lot of people ask on 2cool for a kayak forum and they are told to visit tkf. Mont felt there is no point of having a yak forum with tkf around. So in my opinion I think you're safe cross posting 2cool stuff.