Pork Chops - it's what's for dinner!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Pork Chops - it's what's for dinner!

Post by Prof. Salt »

I sat in a blind this morning away from my usual tree. The North wind was all wrong for my favorite area, so I was forced to sit in a box. It turned out to be a pretty interesting morning, with two boars coming in - and I am under orders to remove all pigs that I can. The first got my arrow a little high in the lungs and ran off. Thirty minutes later the second pig came in. This one was much more relaxed and did not duck as the arrow found its mark. The fletching was still visible just above his heart as he tore out, and I could see the broadhead hanging well out the other side, nice and low and allowing blood to flow out in heavy squirts.

I hoped that now some deer would come in to eat, and with luck a big boy would come wanting to hang with the ladies. No does came out, but a really good 8-point came into the field, making scrapes and marking them as he travelled. I thought he might come within bow range, but at 75 yards he ducked into the brush to continue the scrape activity out of sight. Ten minutes later he reappeared, but had no interest in the feeder. I watched Mr. Big leave out the way he had come. I need a drag with some hot doe pee to bring him within range next time.

After FIL showed up, we went looking for the pigs. There was a good blood trail, and evidently both pigs used the same trail... After 165 yards I found the first little guy piled up in a blood pool. After looking a while, I found where the other pig had continued running, into the neighbor's brush. We looked for 45 more minutes without finding another drop of blood. I hit it high in the lungs, and he was bleeding mostly on the inside and not sharing with the brush and grasses as he ran by.

Oh well, I found both arrows and one of the pigs. He will be awesome pork chops and hams!

Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Pork Chops - it's what's for dinner!

Post by Bigrock »

Good eating for sure. I'm lazy I guess. A friend traded us two 50# pigs, already gutted and skinned, for 10 gallons of green tomatoes my wife picked this week before the freeze. :D
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Dadgummit, I really need to get my first deer and hog. The stories drive me nuts :)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

That's a good way to get them too, but I really enjoy the game. I'm always impressed with how far they can run, even when shot through the heart. I went back and ranged the spot and this guy went over 200 yards before he fell. That's ok, the blood trail was one of those "paint bucket" types that was not a challenge.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

The game within the game. I really enjoy tracking after the shot...even if I can see the animal dead a hundred yards off, I still like to follow the trail until I get to it. :D
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Piggly Wiggly + Bambi = Yummy Good Sausage :clap:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

...and some fine chops!

artman23

Post by artman23 »

Great kill. That's a great picture with that blondie.
rschladoer

Post by rschladoer »

that's awesome professor! congrats on the bow kill!!!!