Correst cut lines for any shoulder mount

CM
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Correst cut lines for any shoulder mount

Post by CM »

this shows the correct cut lines for any shoulder mount. even after 39 years there are those who do not know. so here it is. hope this helps. not sure, bring the whole hide in and I will make the cuts.
Attachments
deer cut lines.jpg
deer cut lines.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Correst cut lines for any shoulder mount

Post by Alsatian »

If you know for sure that you're going to get a shoulder mount done, go ahead and have a local taxidermist cape it out for you and freeze the hide asap. It doesn't have to be the guy doing the final work, they all know how to do it and you will get the best results from the hide. Many will keep it in their freezer for you until your hunt is over and you can pick it up on the way home. It's a lot better than keeping it on ice for 4 days. I had this done last time and it cost me $20. You should have seen how happy my taxidermist was when I gave him my pronghorn, caped and frozen. When field dressing I don't cut past the rib cage. I work with over 2 dozen taxidermists and I have never heard one complain about having to much hide to work with.

Also if you so shoot a small animal (bobcat, coyote, etc) and are wanting a lifesize mount done, freeze it whole, without field dressing.