Look who showed up to hang out with the ladies!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Look who showed up to hang out with the ladies!

Post by Prof. Salt »

We have never had resident bucks on our property - they only show up when the rut begins. Every year we clear brush, mow, and generally make the place as deer friendly as possible. It keeps the does happy and they stay very close to home, attracting some decent company when the time is right. This year is looking different. Things are green, there is more cover, and look who is a chow hound at one of the doe feeders! He doesn't look over 3, but he sure is pretty!

Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Look who showed up to hang out with the ladies!

Post by Bigrock »

That's one of the downsides to hunting small acreages. The temptations are great to "take him now 'cause someone else will if I don't". He's a good looking buck just looking for a little time. :)

We haven't taken a buck off our place in two years and the hunting neighbors have moved on as well (three sides). I have been seeing better, older bucks than I have seen in a long time. We used to have the mindset of get him before someone else does, or let one of the kids shoot a little 8. Seems that was all there was. Don't plan on taking any bucks off this place this year either, unless an honest to goodness mature guy steps forward.

Always enjoy hearing about the hunts on y'alls place Prof.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks Terry, we used to shoot whatever we could find but its been years now since we did that. The kids can shoot a spike if they want, and we tend to wait for the best we can find. Some mature ones come calling on the ladies if we just lay low for a while and stay patient.

Every time we let a good one walk, they never show up the next year. I have sent some really pretty deer on their way, hoping to add some of those qualities that only age can give... But they must fall to the neighbors because I don't see them the next year. I'm still kayaking offshore, so this one isn't a temptation yet, lol.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

For the last couple of weeks this deer showed up at our feeder every morning like clockwork. He appeared to be visiting the neighbor's feeder as well as ours, and last Sunday morning our neighbors had a kid hunting for the opening of youth season. There was a gunshot and report, and our buck has not been seen since. So much for that one. :?
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Bummer. I wonder how many monster bucks have been taken out while still only "nice". He definitely wasn't over three and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a two year old.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Probably just as well. My FIL has become more of a "hurry up and take them" kind of hunter the last few years. He shot at this deer but it ducked the arrow, then stayed around all morning but wouldn't offer him another chance. I will put myself on spike duty until the rut brings me something older. We've had good rain this year, so I hope this deer is a harbinger of good deer to come this year.