Sargent wma

clebba

Sargent wma

Post by clebba »

I drew a blind for the Sargent WMA. Can't wait for the season to start. What are the prominent duck species I can look forward to seeing out there? I need to get some demes as all I have are pintail and mallard. Any other advice on hunting this area would be helpful as well.
Nsea

Re: Sargent wma

Post by Nsea »

I drew a blind too.

I have never hunted this exact area but you can expect to see mostly teal and Spoonies later on Gadwall, some Pintail and Widgeon and red heads if you're close to saltwater. Leave the mallard drakes at home as well as the mallard duck call. The average walk-in duck hunter carries some 2 dozen decoys and a mojo, do either much more or much less.

Most of this area is dominated by short grass so plan on packing in your own blind, I hear most people hunt from the levees. But again I have never hunted this area so I could be way off.
clebba

Re: Sargent wma

Post by clebba »

Thanks. I have been told the same about the green heads and mallard calls. I just picked up a box of wigeon dekes and some new calls/whistles. Anyone ever try that Duck Commander Gadwall Drake call? I kinda like the sound. (I wonder how the ducks will like it).

I drew for opening day. My friend drew for January, so looks like I will get a couple more chances to hunt it.

Thanks again for the input.