Elk Hunt

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Elk Hunt

Post by karstopo »

My great old friend Stu took this 6×6 this past weekend in New Mexico for his first elk. The bull came out of heavy cover responding to my repeated bugle calls. My friend had spotted a herd of 30 move out of a meadow and into heavy cover at first light. I used 2 bugles and the bull edged out of the gamble oak and ponderosa pine and into the edge of the meadow. I was moving along a thicket of shrubs along a little creek bugling as I moved towards the elk holding cover. I shook the shrubs and made quiet a ruckus to hold his attention. He wouldn't cross the 150 yards of open space, but stayed interested long enough for my bud to pierce his heart with a 7mm mag round. The bull staggered for about 30 yards and dropped. It was team effort and we couldn't have scripted the hunt any better.
Attachments
1004140743_resized.jpg
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Elk Hunt

Post by Bigrock »

Way cool! :clap: Congrats!
redfin21

Post by redfin21 »

Nice one! Someday I will have saved enough money to go hunt an Elk. Hear the meat is great! Congrats to you both.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

redfin21 wrote:Nice one! Someday I will have saved enough money to go hunt an Elk. Hear the meat is great! Congrats to you both.
We had the tenderloin and it was great.

We didn't hire a guide, but even then your up at about $700 per person for an out of state bull tag when you add it all up.

The cheapest way to do it is bow hunt. Less pressure and the animals respond to calls well during bow season. I believe the tags cost less for archery. We quartered our bull and split the cost of processing. When I add it, it costs less than most of my bud's deer leases. And we have 160 lbs of delicious elk meat.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

To be clear. You were not hunting....you were "defending your camp from these evil and wicked beasts"! :lol:

Well done on the team work! :clap:
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

awesome, even more awesome being his 1st elk!!! congrats!!
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Well done, guys.
So many great places to hunt and so little time!
NM is in my sights for elk and bear.