Another first time kayak hunt

Stoic_J

Another first time kayak hunt

Post by Stoic_J »

Went out this morning. Shots going off all around me for an hour, and I don't see a single duck. Eventually got 2. Hit a 3rd one and it landed about 200 yards out. As I start paddling out, a flock comes in :x . Get out to the bird, and it flies away inches off the water for hundreds of yards, so I give up. Head back and another group buzzes my spread :evil:

Seriously, though, it was a blast, and I'm hoping to do another kayak hunt next Wednesday.
Attachments
IMG_20140917_092941380.jpg
Hubbs

Re: Another first time kayak hunt

Post by Hubbs »

Good job man, beautiful birds. How did it feel to hunt from the yak? Did you hit up Bastrop bay or the lower Colorado?
Stoic_J

Post by Stoic_J »

Made better time than I expected. Hunted just off Bastrop Bayou, didn't feel like driving all the way San Luis to hit the bay, so went in off 227.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Keep naming those spots and you will have even more shots going off around you next time.

You didn't paddle out with your gun after the crip? That happens fairly often. Swiming divers can be impossible to paddle up to. Need to be able to water swat.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

I am assuming you are very new to hunting and dont have much experience.

Please retrieve the birds you shoot. Don't just paddle out to them then head back when they surprisingly try to get away again. Use that gun and keep after them. Ducks don't dive underwater and hold onto the bottom until they die as many people like to say. A duck isn't going to commit suicide out there just so you cant eat it. They will always come up somewhere with their heads barely above the surface. Sometimes a duck has just enough energy left to make that one last attempted escape before they bleed out.

Also can you please name more spots? Thanks... As big duck season begins you are going to find it harder to kill birds if you post up spots online. The birds are not going to be moving through as fast as these teal are and having a lot of hunters in an area can run ducks out pretty quick. You are hunting from a kayak and are just going to make it harder on yourself to get distance from people. When big ducks get shot at they are not going to just keep barreling down the shoreline looking for the next set of decoys.

Post up your pics, conditions and stories but I would keep it at that.
Stoic_J

Post by Stoic_J »

Nah, I've been doing it a little while. This bird was still a little far out to reach with steel when it took off. It didn't fly off twenty feet, it flew off hundreds of yards. Far enough that, unfortunately, only gators, ants, or bacteria were going to find it.

More spots? Sure! Anahuac NWR, Trinity Bay, the Trinity River, Pierce Marsh, Greens Lake, Chocolate Bayou and Bay, Brazoria NWR, muddy spots off Bastrop, Peach Point, San Bernard NWR and its Cedar and Cowtraps and Sargent, Big Boggy NWR, Lake Austin, East Matagorda, West Galveston, East Galveston, Mad Island, Guadalupe Delta, the Brazos northwest of here but even some spots SW of town, the Colorado, Murphee, Sea Rim, the Sabine, Livingston, Steinhagen, Conroe. I found a website, http://www.google.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ,and you can look at the maps to see where to put in. Or you can use a telephone and call the people that manage some of these places. Truth is over the years I've been to nearly all these places and at some time or another I've shot birds there. Thirty years ago I had guys hunt around me that skyblasted or got way too close or wouldn't stop with their calls. Mid 1980's, mid 2010's, it's the same, except now there's Google Maps. Gasoline is 4X as much and the geese don't come this way as much, but its basically the same.

To anyone that wants to hunt but doesn't know where to go, you can look online and/or you can get out there to see for yourself.
Does X have ducks? If it's wet, probably sometimes.
Are the ducks there now? C'mon, man.
Is it legal to blah, blah, blah? You're asking the wrong people.

I like to shoot ducks. There's no shortage of them. There's absolutely no shortage of places to go get them. If it's wet and muddy and there's enough mosquitoes to gag on, you're probably pretty close to some.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

It takes a minute to paddle a hundred yards... :roll:
Hubbs

Post by Hubbs »

Stoic_J wrote:Made better time than I expected. Hunted just off Bastrop Bayou, didn't feel like driving all the way San Luis to hit the bay, so went in off 227.
I've been out there a number of times. I like those back waters for catching flounder and reds. I've even hunted a few times and always seem to have a few good groups. A few weeks ago I was speaking with the federal conservation officer out there and we were discussing the slight change to the hunting areas.

I can recall a hunt on Caddo Lake in late January 2011. The water was covered in about .5" of ice. My hunting buddy downed a wood-duck, which astonishingly stood up and began walking on the ice. We both promptly shot him again. I climbed down from the blind and paddled out to retrieve the duck. However it had vanished, presumably under the ice. Many people on this board (Lazy-boy quarterbacks) would say I didn't do enough to recover the bird. Their opinion is of no concern of mine. We have all "winged" birds that we never recovered for whatever the reason. It sucks, but it happens. That's why the game law is written to stipulate:
It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit.
A reasonable effort is what's required.

It concerns me that so many on this forum, a public instrument dedicated to the sharing of information, are really worried that the information you posted would lead to a mass intrusion by the "pot-lickers" of the world. Is the place you hunted so unknown, so remote that nobody knows it exist? I would think that any 2nd grader could find the published maps and regulations for this refuge and the surrounding area.
Stoic_J

Post by Stoic_J »

Hubbs wrote:I've been out there a number of times. I like those back waters for catching flounder and reds.
It was my first time out to this particular spot, even though I think I've wondered about it since I was a teenager. It was so nice I'll probably take my little boys out there for some fishing and nature watching, during more comfortable weather.
Brockster

Post by Brockster »

Good job. Very prickish reply. Has a certain internet keyboard professor prick sound to it. Not calling you a prick though..
isubarui wrote:I am assuming you are very new to hunting and dont have much experience.

Please retrieve the birds you shoot. Don't just paddle out to them then head back when they surprisingly try to get away again. Use that gun and keep after them. Ducks don't dive underwater and hold onto the bottom until they die as many people like to say. A duck isn't going to commit suicide out there just so you cant eat it. They will always come up somewhere with their heads barely above the surface. Sometimes a duck has just enough energy left to make that one last attempted escape before they bleed out.

Also can you please name more spots? Thanks... As big duck season begins you are going to find it harder to kill birds if you post up spots online. The birds are not going to be moving through as fast as these teal are and having a lot of hunters in an area can run ducks out pretty quick. You are hunting from a kayak and are just going to make it harder on yourself to get distance from people. When big ducks get shot at they are not going to just keep barreling down the shoreline looking for the next set of decoys.

Post up your pics, conditions and stories but I would keep it at that.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Look no one has to take my advice or listen to what is said for a post titled "first time kayak hunt".

Thanks for the insults though. Even if they were not very insultish. :D

Have fun hunting out there.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Stoic_J wrote:Went out this morning. Shots going off all around me for an hour, and I don't see a single duck. Eventually got 2. Hit a 3rd one and it landed about 200 yards out. As I start paddling out, a flock comes in :x . Get out to the bird, and it flies away inches off the water for hundreds of yards, so I give up. Head back and another group buzzes my spread :evil:

Seriously, though, it was a blast, and I'm hoping to do another kayak hunt next Wednesday.
Thanks for the post. This year was my first year dove hunting and really enjoyed it. I've heard the blasts from the bay's as I've fished and I am considering brining my gun to try this. Thanks for posting up as this is on my to-do list.

WM