Texas duck hunting newb

clebba

Texas duck hunting newb

Post by clebba »

NOT new to duck hunting, just new to doing it in Texas. I'm not asking for hunting spots, just general info on hunting along the coast and in the state WMA's.

If I was to hunt the bays, say Matagorda, Shamrock Cove, Lighthouse Lakes (generally), can I just paddle up and claim any perspective spot?

When is it safe to take my dog hunting in said places? I have only ever seen gators at Anahuac. When is if cold enough for them to be of no concern? What about stingrays? And what other concerns are there for the pooch in the salt water.

As far as the WMA's, are they worth the effort to drive all the way out there from Austin? Do you have to draw for a blind? If so, what are the chances of not drawing? Again, if I drive all the way from Austin and don't draw, then what? I read that some require a boat for access. Is a kayak sufficient for that or are we talking some long hauls and races for prime (or even sub-prime real estate)?

What about the Colorado River? I've heard the hunting is good. But how does one access the locations? Are there walk-in spots or does it all have to accessed via the water? And again, will a Kayak suffice?

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope I can get this figured out soon enough to get some scouting in. And if anyone is looking for a partner and is willing to show me the ropes, I would be happy to join you. I have an 11 month old lab who is running his jr hunt tests right now and am looking to get him some serious hunting time.
FishinClint

Re: Texas duck hunting newb

Post by FishinClint »

Howdy!

I am NOT new to Texas, just new to duck hunting :lol: . Shot my first teal opening morning, what a great feeling. I got the public hunting license for the first time this year and hope to use it for waterfowl at some of the WMA's as well as the coast. I also have a yak and am interested in hunting rivers, but am concerned about where I can shoot a shotgun safely/legally without issues with landowners. Hope some experienced public hunters chime in because I have a lot of the same questions.
clebba

Post by clebba »

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that I DO have the public hunting permit for the WMA's.
artman23

Post by artman23 »

Hey guys, I've been hunting public lands for duck the past couple of years. I didn't have much direction when I started, just desire and a strong will. I researched as much as I could on the wma that I was going to and then tried to get there early to compensate for my inexperience.

The first time out I decided to go to Justin Hurst WMA. I informed the warden checking me in that it was my first time hunting the area and voiced my questions. He gave me the run down and sent me on my way. Long story short I came home empty handed, but was hooked. It probably wasn't until my third trip that I downed birds. At that point I felt like the most accomplished hunter ever. Public land birds are the hardest game animals that I have ever hunted.

In regards to the questions posted, the WMA's that I have hunted offer opportunities for both the boat/kayak(non-motorized) hunter as well as the hiker/walker hunter. For the most part a hunter checks in at the warden station and is assigned a hunting location, then you can drive to the designated parking area and walk to your assigned spot. These hunting areas are anywhere from a couple of hundred yards to a couple miles and are defined by a numbered marker. There are no blinds unless you were assigned a youth or handicapped area. Its hard hunting because of the high hunting pressure and lack of cover, but the most rewarding.

I myself am trying to learn and familiarize myself with the laws to take advantage of more prime areas.
If you guys are ever in need a hunting partner feel free to contact me through this medium. I'm looking forward to exploring new areas and doing a little hunting on the way.
CALopez_1986

Post by CALopez_1986 »

As far as shooting on the river, from what I understand it's legal as long as no bb's cross into private property.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

I've been thinking of making a Mad Island run if y'all want too tag along. Theres a few spots ideal for kayaking in. I try too get inline the night before @ 8-9 and sleep in the truck till they open the gate.
clebba

Post by clebba »

What day?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Mad Island is a Sat/Sun only WMA, probably Saturday
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Looking at my weekend sunday is probably going too be best bet. I'd say your dog should be safe but it's still early and warm out so you might see gators. I'd keep retrives to inside the spread or just outside it.
clebba

Post by clebba »

I'll ponder that over. I'm heading out to Sargent (drawn blind) in the am. I wish I could extend an invite to you in return for yours, but I've already got a full card. Hunted it solo on Saturday. Saw and shot at plenty, only got one and it produced a long dark blind retrieve for the pup, but he got it. A little unconventional handling, but he got there and found the bird.

I will check out my schedule and see if I can join you. Huge thanks in advance for the invite.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

I gotta work till thursday and the weekend is always up in the air till thursday afternoon, appreciate it though!
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

I will say for Mad island their is no blinds. Best thing too have is a marsh seat or five gal bucket with a lid
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Sitting on the 5 gallon dove bucket works well for me. :wink:
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Milkjug wrote:Sitting on the 5 gallon dove bucket works well for me. :wink:
yeah it's really the best invention they ever made for duck hunting :lol:

screw that noise, go get or make you a mud seat and send me a check for $20 for all the frustration and falling over i saved you..... 8)
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Plus space saving on a yak. But I've used both and both work good.