Colorado mule and elk hunt

GoatL09

Colorado mule and elk hunt

Post by GoatL09 »

If there is anything I love as much as yaking its hunting. So 3 friends and I put in for mule deer tags for Colorado for the first time and by the grace of God we got drawn. Plan on getting some otc bull elk tags as well. We got drawn for units 75, 751. Only one of the 4 of us has ever hunted in Colorado and that was years ago. I also know how people don't like to give up info on where to go or how to do it. But I'm gonna ask anyways. If anyone has anything that could help us out, anything from a mountain range to go to or a good packing list of what to take. Any and all advice is appreciated and pm's are welcomed as I know that most do not want to post out in the open.

Happy hunting and happy fishing
I also plan to be yaking it up between rockport and Ingleside the last wknd of June.

"If it took as many shots to kill a deer as it does casts to catch a fish, then I would understand the price of ammo"
Doc S

Re: Colorado mule and elk hunt

Post by Doc S »

I'm from Colorado, but haven't been there in years.

I used to hunt around Gunnison and Durango, mainly Mule Deer and Elk.

first and foremost, GET IN SHAPE NOW.
There is much less oxygen in Colorado and altitude can take the wind out of anyone. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Even though you will probably feel like you've drunk enough water, chances are you haven't.
Dress in layers. Even though it may be cool/cold, you will likely get warm. It's important to be able to remove some clothing to keep from sweating.

Take a big enough gun. I prefer something in the 30-33 cal range (my personal favorite is a .338 Win Mag). Use some good ammo and practice shooting up/down hills.
When you're shooting downhill, aim low and aim high for uphill shots.

Before you actually go out to hunt, sight in your rifle. I can count quite a few people who lost the animal of their lifetime, because they didn't zero in after they arrived...

Learn to use Elk calls. They can really help you get closer and a better shot.

Scout the terrain before you hunt.

If it's been cold and snow has fallen up high, the elk and deer will move to the valleys, especially near small rivers and streams.

Use your sense of smell. You can smell elk from about 100 yards. stop and listen often. If a bull is chasing cows, they'll be crashing through the brush and making a lot of noise...

If you're stock hunting, move quietly and slowly, glassing often, especially in natural bowls. Don't walk the ridge. Animals watch the ridge. keep about 1/3 of the way down and glass. DON'T USE YOUR SCOPE TO LOOK FOR ANIMALS, use binoculars...

Be sure to take a few good knives. You'll need'em...

Good luck and God Bless,
Doc S
GoatL09

Post by GoatL09 »

I am currently working on the getting in shape part. I'm not in bad shape but could use some cardio. My gun of choice for this trip will be my 7mm wsm. I still have to find the right ammo for the trip tho.
I have been to steamboat once on a ski trip. I seemed to do alright but then again that was 12 yrs ago. I'm 36 now.
I agree with the scouting and sighting in part. After all the money spent on the trip it would be a foolish mistake not to throw a few rounds on paper to make sure your on target. And I've been told a lot about the hydrate and dress in layers. Is using a call for the elk a necessity or an upper hand so to say. None of us in my group have ever called elk, so is it better not to do it vs. doing wrong? I've also been told about using a rabbit is distress or fawn call to at least get the mule deer up and out of cover. Would that be of use or more of a disturbance?
I appreciate all your advice and will use all of it. My biggest question is what should I take and what is not worth taking. I'm sure everyone's list is different but there are things like you said about the knives.
Don't mean to seem clueless, I've only hunted in Texas and I am clueless to parts of it. Common sense will tell you what to take to survive but it will also make you take more than you need.
Again thanks for all your advice and certainly all opinions are welcomed.
Doc S

Post by Doc S »

I just looked 75 /751 up. That's my old stompin grounds!

Much of the national forest in those area border Ute Indian Reservation. Very productive, but you have to be sure not to cross indian land or hunt it, or you can be facing lots of trouble...

I've been very successful in an area called Washington Flats, between Pagosa Springs and Bayfield Colorado. If I were hunting back in that area, that's probably one of the first places I'd hit up. There's a couple very nice bowls that hold both deer and elk. I've even run into a nice black bear in there once!

One bowl is cut in half by a high fence put up my Fish and Wildlife. there's a sendero cut next to is and the fence works to funnel animals. It's a great place to rest in the afternoon and watch.

Faucet Gulch is also in the area, just down the road. Lots mountainous areas that open up into meadows and the Piedra river that provides good water and big animal habitat...

The thing to remember is that if you don't see the tops of the mountains capped with snow, you need to go higher...

If they've had good snow, animals are driven lower and are pretty easy to find.

I'd look on Cabela's or Bass Pro and find Elk calls with instruction videos. It's not terrible if you don't have a call, but it can help you get a good shot. I've never used calls on Mule Deer. If they're quartered away or running away, I've whistled loud and gotten them to stop or turn. They're very curious.

I like to take good ripe with a pulley system, so I can can clean /skin them easier. I also take cheese cloth, so I can cover the animal as it cools, keeping bugs/flys off. When it's nice and cool there, you can clean your animal and let it hang for a few days.
I also like to take a bone saw. Makes butchering so much easier.

Depending on where you're hunting, I'd probably take a good framed pack, so you can carry out quartered meat (if necessary).

Don't forget Colorado requires a hunter safety course and a minimal requirement for "Blaze Orange" clothing.

I'm jealous...

God Bless,
Doc S
GoatL09

Post by GoatL09 »

Hey DOC I sent you a PM.

Thanks again
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

Hunted around Dolores a few times and have a 7mm wsm. I gave it to my cousin to use and the 150's in the gamekings, accubonds and Barnes bullets worked the best. I like ballistic tips for long range but not the best penetration. Also I sight my gun in at 300 and look up the ballistic tables for drop at 4-6 and rise at closer distance. Practice the longer shot before you go. Also its aim high whether shooting uphill or down. We always go in Nov and it seems its 12 degrees in the morning and 60 by 1. Don't overdress, and leave the heavy gear you use for blind hunting in Tx in the tent. Unless your hunting in sub zero it will be too hot. Thermals over jeans and longsleeves and a light packable jacket is best. Comfortable boots are a must. Thinsulate and goretex.
Also watch out for the killer chipmunks lol. I had one go up my pants leg one year. They are cute but very friendly lol.
GoatL09

Post by GoatL09 »

Thanks for the bullet selection. I'll check into them. I have a Nikon 6x24x50mil. I also have the ap on my phone where I can look up the ranges for the round I'm shooting at diff zeros. I know there are uncontrollable variables but it's a starting place.

I think I mentioned that I've only hunted in Texas. Not all together true. I did hunt two time in Indiana. When I say two I mean once in morning and once in afternoon. Left empty handed. But yes I am familiar with the chipmunks. On my morning hunt I was perched next to a fallen tree overlooking a small draw. All of a sudden this chipmunk came running across the tree trunk right to me. He got about a foot away before he realized I didn't belong there and he commenced to barking and jumping up and down. I finally just had to move to throw something at him to scare him off. Good times tho. Hopefully I don't find out what it feels like to have one run up my pants. I will definitely have an update in November.

Thanks again for the advice
johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnboy »

Carry a GPS!!! and dont plan on chicken fried steak.
grossgart

Post by grossgart »

Friend, I hunt Elk & Deer every year in Montana and have done twice in Colorado. My advice is:
1) unlike deer, the elk are migrating. Generally you'll see them a long way off. 1-3 miles and it is incumbent upon you to figure out where they are moving to and get there first. So..... if you think you are "kinda, ok, sort-of fit, you are not fit for elk hunting. It is all up & down country and if you are not fit, you are not elk hunting. I start 5 months ahead and work like hell. I put on my backpack with 40lbs of weight and walk 4 miles with it, I ride, I run. Get fit, you will be more successful and you'll have a lot more fun. And if you think the hunting requires fitness, wait until you have to pack out the quarters.
2) if the elk get pressure they go high. look for them on north facing slopes, especially if the sun comes out.
3) get where people aren't and you'll find them
4) like the other fellow said, you can smell 'em a long way off. Once you get into the timber, (wind in face) use the nose.
5) once you see the elk and figure out how to intercept them, you are off and moving fast. So it is so EASY to get turned around. If you are a traditionalist and don't carry a GPS turn around and look at your back path every 100 yards and remember where you came from.

you are going to have blast. good luck.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

subscribing. I plan to go to Colorado next year. High on my bucket list. Going to put in for cow tags first, just to get some experience. Put a few hunts under my belt and then start pullilng for bulls.
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

November is here!
If I can find my elk hunt checklist, I'll give it to you.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Any suggestions for glassing? Binoculars or spotting scope? Personal preference or is one better? Also, any suggestions on sizing of optics.
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

aggiejon wrote:Any suggestions for glassing? Binoculars or spotting scope? Personal preference or is one better? Also, any suggestions on sizing of optics.
Binoculars are essential. I'd only bring a spotting scope if you are committed to taking only a trophy bull. A spotting scope can weed out sub-trophy bulls from a mile away and save you lots of wasted stalk time.
I chose 8x42 binocs over 10x42 as the 8x42 will cause less eye strain when glassing for long periods.
If you're on a wilderness hunt, 8x42 provides a relatively good view at relatively light weight. If you'll not be hiking long distances, larger binocs like 10x50 would be great.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Bloodhound wrote:
aggiejon wrote:Any suggestions for glassing? Binoculars or spotting scope? Personal preference or is one better? Also, any suggestions on sizing of optics.
Binoculars are essential. I'd only bring a spotting scope if you are committed to taking only a trophy bull. A spotting scope can weed out sub-trophy bulls from a mile away and save you lots of wasted stalk time.
I chose 8x42 binocs over 10x42 as the 8x42 will cause less eye strain when glassing for long periods.
If you're on a wilderness hunt, 8x42 provides a relatively good view at relatively light weight. If you'll not be hiking long distances, larger binocs like 10x50 would be great.
That's helpful. I'll likely be going DIY on govt land. Would love a trophy bull someday. However, I'll likely work up to that. thanks!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Hunted out of Pagosa Springs at 10,000 feet. This was a bow hunt and we packed in horse back to a base camp. I was in very good shape but a flat lander from Houston cannot prepare for altitude. On horseback early morning and tied them off on trail and set off on foot. Even with the horses you can't have any idea how grueling the footwork can be. GET IN EXCELLENT SHAPE or you may have to cut your hunt short. Now for the most important part of the entire hunt. BRING A SMALL NOTE PAD AND PENCIL. This may be a one time hunt or not but the experience is one you will always want to remember long after the hunt is over. Start a journal now of your preparation, planning the drive the hunts everything. Journal some notes daily of the events and encounters. When you get back take the time to reflect and write it up drop in all your pics and put it on a flash drive. Best part of the entire hunt :wink: Good luck and good hunting.