Snake fight

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Snake fight

Post by Prof. Salt »

After trying unsuccessfully to find a last morning turkey, we drove up to the tractor shed to begin some mowing chores. When we stepped out of the truck we got a cool surprise. A four foot desert king snake had just caught a Texas patchnosed snake for lunch. I got a chance to photograph the events, and it was a cool show! At one point the king snake tried to stick his head in a hole, but it wasn't large enough to get into. A scorpion flushed out and waited patiently for the serpents to conclude their business before he darted back into his lair. I hate to see a good snake get killed, but in this case we were just observing nature doing its thing. Cool stuff!

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Snake fight

Post by Mythman »

Wow, nothing like a Patchednose Buffet!!!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Wow! Great pics, thanks for posting them! I am probably going to borrow them and send to a friend of mine that would love to see them.

looks like a stripped bark scorpion - they are just no fun to play with.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Those scorpions are not fun. They don't usually go looking for trouble, but when they do it really hurts. We call them rough bark scorpions, but a scorpion by any other name... Shakespeare was right.
reddog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by reddog »

Nice pics thats nature at its best
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Cool stuff......bet the scorpion started it, just sayin
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

very cool!!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

PHOTOSHOP!!! :P :P :P

Cool pics Prof! :D
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

WHAT!? If I was going to use Photoshop, it would be rattlesnake vs. coral snake or some other first-string matchup. These guys were cool, but I was able to get pretty cozy with them while they worked out their disagreement.

:idea: ...but I COULD insert a "go patchnose!" flag for the scorpion to hold...
COACHITUP

Post by COACHITUP »

cool stuff
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

Awesome pics
jackh

Post by jackh »

Awesome photos, thanks for not killing them. Most people ignorantly kill every snake they see.
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Amazing pics!
rschladoer

Post by rschladoer »

neat pic for sure! Id like to see a blue indigo get after a rattlesnake! that would be a sight! Two buddies and I caught two blues about two weeks ago! neat snakes!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I haven't seen many blue indigos around the last few years, but we do have a very large Texas indigo down by the creek. He surprised me when he popped his head up above the tall grass one morning as I was walking through. I had no idea what it was, but knew it was non-poisonous AND non-venomous, lol (an old joke). I looked it up when I got home, and I was pleased to find one roaming our property!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Prof. Salt wrote:I haven't seen many blue indigos around the last few years, but we do have a very large Texas indigo down by the creek. He surprised me when he popped his head up above the tall grass one morning as I was walking through. I had no idea what it was, but knew it was non-poisonous AND non-venomous, lol (an old joke). I looked it up when I got home, and I was pleased to find one roaming our property!
Interesting thing for you to say, made me do a little reading. When I was a kid, we had a blue indigo for a pet (before it was against the law), he was the coolest damn snake. Before your post, I hadn't heard of a Texas Indigo - now I'm going to have to check with my snake expert - wiki doesn't have a 'blue indigo', it's just an alias for an Eastern Indigo, which according to the map doesn't come into Texas. It lists the Texas Indigo as a related species. There is also on another site a Central American Indigo listed as a snake of Texas...

So now I wonder, are there 'blue indigo' (Eastern Indigo's) in Texas, or are they all Texas Indigo (which may or not be a Central American Indigo). I'll ask Clint - and post what he says.

Still one of the coolest photo post I've see on TKF. Thanks Prof.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks, Chief. I can assure you that the Texas Indigo does not look like the blue indigo. Shape is the same, but coloration is not even close. It's a pretty snake though. I hope to see it again as it feeds on rattlers from the area. Here's a video of one with slightly different coloring; surprisingly this is smaller than the one roaming our property.