Duck Hunting

Nathan

Duck Hunting

Post by Nathan »

I am interested in doing a cast and blast/and/or duck hunting this season out of my kayak. I was thinking to do this in Christmas/Brazoria wildlife refuge. I am a novice-(brand new) duck hunter though. I don't even own a shotgun yet though I hope to get one soon. Anyway Academy near me has the Remington 870 Express on sale for 219.00. Is this a good gun? Do you need the 3.5" shells or is 3" enough? They offer the 3.5" for 279.00. Is it worth it to spring for the 3.5 in case I ever need it. When would you need the 3.5" shells? Thanks for the help. Nathan
Nathan

Capt Jack

Post by Nathan »

Capt Jack, -When you launch from the condos in Christmas Bay do you head straight across to the north shore or do you head into drum bay and hit the Brazoria wildlife refuge? Thanks Nathan
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

The Remington 870's are good guns for the price although I don't think they are made as well anymore. I would recomend a Benneli Nova. I bought one last year and wouldn't trade it for any other pump on the market. They are a little more expensive than the 870(but not much), but I think they are worth it. They are very easy to dissasemble to clean and and are great quality. It shoots 3 1/2 in shells. The 3 1/2's aren't really necessary for ducks, but I think it can be a good thing to have or at least I think so (definatly not a must). Most people use them for geese. If you do decide on the 870 I would recomend getting the express mag. I think they are made a little better than the regular 870. As far as places to go around X-mas I can't really help you there. I've never hunted that area, but CaptJack will give you more information that you could imagine. Hope this helps.
Yak-a-lou

Post by Yak-a-lou »

You'll do fine with the 870. Buy it. That's what almost every cop in the country carries so there must be something reliable about the design. The Army uses them too. The 870 is probably the biggest selling shotgun of all times. It ain't fancy, it works. It's affordable and reliable. I bought four of them (2 in 12ga & 2 in 20ga) as gifts for family members in the past 6 years. A used one from a trusted source can be wonderful. One of the four that I bought was a used one. My wife shoots it. It's been well "seasoned" but it works like it's supposed to every time so far.

Don't get me wrong.. I love a fine shotgun. I shoot a Browning Side by Side and I love it. I bought a cheap Russian side by side to take in the salt marshes with me. I don't want the Browning in that environment. The Browning is reserved for dove hunts, trap shooting, and freshwater duck hunts.

3 1/2 inch shells? For goose hunting, sure, but I see no need for duck hunting.

The Express model is a good suggestion. Spend a little more, get a little more.

Happy Hunting!
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Ditto what yak-a-lou said about the 870. My dad has been shooting one for over 30 years and has had no problems with it. Its a great all around gun and should last forever.

Most of the guys I know that use the 3.5's use them either for turkeys or geese. They'll definitely give you more speed and distance, but the other side of the coin is whether or not it gives you a false sense of confidence to take shots that are past your shooting skills. I've been hunting for over 20 years and never needed them, but I mainly hunt for dove, quail and turkeys so I can't speak from experience about the ducks and geese. I do know that there is a big pushing going right now (and rightly so) to cut down on crimpling water fowl and taking too long of shots is a big part of that.
GO! Fishin'

Post by GO! Fishin' »

They are not pretty, but they work. I have used an 870 for 10 years now. It is by far the toughest gun that I ever owned. There is very minimal maintence and they always work. I have a Browning Citori that I love, but it stays home when I am duck hunting.

The Bennelli Nova is a great gun as well. My dad shoots one and he loves it.
PatYak

Post by PatYak »

I have a Rem. 870 that has to be at least 20 years old and never had one problem w/ it. I also have a Winchester 1200 that is over 25 years old(older than me) and never had one problem w/ it has well. I went to a local gun shop store and the gunsmith there told me that the 870 is what he recomends to people that are just getting into the sport. It is not a very expensive gun and it is of good quality. He said most people that buy an 870 or a similar gun in price probobly only use about 6- 10 times a season meaning there not out there every day during season blasting away so that makes it a practical gun at a good price.

tight lines, oh I mean full bag ?
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Capt Jack

Post by CaptJack »

Nathan wrote:Capt Jack, -When you launch from the condos in Christmas Bay do you head straight across to the north shore or do you head into drum bay and hit the Brazoria wildlife refuge? Thanks Nathan

Nathan-
There's some pothole lakes in the end of Rattlesnake Point.
Rattlesnake is a natural flyway....
throwinbowz

Post by throwinbowz »

Well I think the 870 is the only gun to own for hunting ducks. I paddled with it when my buddies outboard stopped working. The Nova is nice too, but its just too "futuristic" looking for me. Definetly go with the Super Express Mag, it is better built