Preliminary dove seasons and limits

Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Preliminary dove seasons and limits

Post by Blindcasting »

Some discussion on the limits on another thread. Limits have been set as:

From a David Sikes Article:

The North Zone is scheduled from Sept. 1 through Oct. 30 with a 15-bird daily bag.

The Central Zone is scheduled for Sept. 1 through Oct. 31 and Dec. 26 through Jan. 3, with a 12-bird bag. The South Zone is scheduled for Sept. 24 through Nov. 10 and Dec.26 through Jan. 16, with a 12-bird bag.

The Special Whitewing weekends in the Rio Grande Valley are scheduled for Sept. 4, 5, 11 and 12. During these opportunities, hunters would be allowed to bag 10 birds, with no more than five mourning doves or two white-tipped dove.

A major change to this year's dove regulations is a geographic shift of the Central Zone boundary to include the whitewing fields within the 1604 Loop south of San Antonio. This could offer local wingshooters their most convenient and consistent crack at whitewings during the first week of September. I wonder if outfitters will borrow the pachanga from the Valley.

I sure wish the Central and South zones would go back to the shorter season and move the limit back up to 15 birds. I don't know anybody that gets any decent shooting in more than 3 weeks after the season starts.
BigBuck

Dove season

Post by BigBuck »

I agree. I would rather have the extra 3 birds, should get about 15 extra shots! :D BC or anyone: am looking for a Friday hunt before Labor Day weekend. I am looking for something maybe Uvalde area, but I would like to have some whitewings. I will be hunting our lease (rocksp.gs) on the weekend, would like to sneak in a whitewing hunt. I am willing to pay the usual day fee, $50-$75. I would like to have the hunt no further east than Hondo so it is not so far to drive to the lease Friday night. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks. BTW- I drove 1604 home today from 90 to 10 on the south. The area where 16 hits 1604 was lousy with doves. Must have been several hundred on the wires in about 1/2 mile.
John
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

John - the place I've gone and really enjoyed the last few years is actually in Castroville. This is a few more miles east of Hondo so not sure if you'd be interested or not. If so shoot me a PM and I'll give you the info.

The guy who owns the place has been really good about giving me a true account of how many birds are out there and whether it is worth the time and money. Last year he charged about $60 for the first weekend.