Teal ducks in Corpus area?

Blood, Sweat, and Beers

Teal ducks in Corpus area?

Post by Blood, Sweat, and Beers »

I'm looking to do some duck hunting this year and was wondering if Teals make it down to the Corpus Christi area. I've never duck hunted(from San Diego=fishing heaven, not hunting!), but definitely looking forward to my first hunt. If you have any info on the teals let me know. Thanks
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

They do but they pobably won't be there until after the season since we only have 9 days this year. When they do get there they are moving thru to Mexico so they don't stick around long. The best bet for teal season is the rice prairie IMO.

There are several WMAs along the mid coast that offer some good teal opportunities on public land.
Blood, Sweat, and Beers

I'm new to hunting so I was wondering what an IMO and and WMAs are. Thanks
MouletteRouge

Post by MouletteRouge »

Plan a trip to the Winnie/Nome, Texas area...We always get them...have for the last few years, and they have been thick...there are a few outfitters in this area that will drop you off in a rice field and its just like dove hunting...Being able to take only four is really hard though...
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

Blood, Sweat, and Beers wrote:I'm new to hunting so I was wondering what an IMO and and WMAs are. Thanks

IMO= In My Opinion

WMA= Wildlife Management Area which is state owned land typically opened to a controlled amount of hunting and the ones around here are intensively managed for waterfowl.
CM
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

teal ducks in Corpus

Post by CM »

Being that I am a duck hunter, if this is going to be your first hunt in Texas, I would recommend going with Scott Hickman at circleh outfitters. His website is www.circleh.org. He has a lodge in Rockport. You truely will see literely thousands of ducks.
Blood, Sweat, and Beers

Thanks CM I'll check it out!
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

If you do book with Circle H tell him you want to hunt with Steve aka "Gringo". He'll know who I am talking about. Steve guides for Circle H primarily doing duck hunts at their Rockport lodge. Steve is a good guy and you'd enjoy hunting with him.
MouletteRouge

Post by MouletteRouge »

Circle H has one guy that guides for them that is really good...my father has hunted with him a few times...he lost his arm somehow, but it doesn't slow him down...From what my dad says...he can shoot and call better than anyone he has ever hunted with...Give the Drake Plantation in Winnie a call...they always are on birds, especially during early teal...