DOVES - Opening day SA area?

DOVES - Opening day SA area?

Post by guest »

Looking for someplace that has of birds for opening day Central Zone around SA ? Need to be able to hunt with dog. Disappointed in the TPWD properties I have hunted for last 3 years... No Birds on Majority of them.

Keep an eye out for me please! I live in Houston area(Bellville) so I am not in touch with San Antonio area like I used to be,. Could be up to 4 hunters. 2 adults 2 children.

Fryemup.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

fryemup - shoot me an email and I'll send you some names of guys I've day hunted with between Castroville and Hondo the last 5 or so years (I'm at home now, but have the contact info. at my office). Size of your party should not be a problem anywhere out here. Unfortunately the costs have skyrocketed from the $20 range a few years ago to around $60 now. Good new is there are tons of birds. Should be a good opening day.

My email is trey_crocker@harte-hanks.com

THANKS... Hooked up

Post by guest »

Thanks.
Will be hooked up with Jeff Tschirhart.

Sounds like the place/area I used to hunt as a kid with my dad.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Good luck. I got a free invite to D'Hanis so I won't be at his place opening day, but planning on going there in the evening on the second day and then the following weekend.

One good thing about this 1 day opening weekend is it should keep the locations from being shot up by the second weekend.

Shot up..

Post by Guest »

I agree. I miss the old "1/2" day only. Between the double dips and just sheer number of people shooting at the birds, its easy to "turn em off" of a field FAST.

There was a place a mile from my house here in Bellville for TPWD, and there must have been 300 hunters on it (Close to Houston) . First Season it was massacre. I have hunted it 5 times since then. We (my son and I) are lucky if we see more than 2 birds in a given evening sitting by a tank. (The owner also quit raising crops on it, which played into this.)

Nothing wrong with people hunting, just if opener is a friday, by Sunday and subsequent weeks birds have "moved on". Which is OK if you have access to where they moved to, but stinks if that was your main area.

Post by Guest »

How did you fellas (near San Antonio) do?

I ended up working....

Post by Guest »

Luckily I ended up back in H town for work.
I have a feeling it was hit or miss depending on where the fields were.

Normally I see tons of whitewings while visiting my mom off 410..
I can honestly say I didn't see that many birds in flight Sunday, so no clue how the hunting was.

Besides, I saw the reds from B&R... Man oh man I hate working for a living. Rather be fishing or hunting or fishing or hunting...

Fryemup

Post by Guest »

I live close to 410 and usually see lots of birds too, but not lately.

Didn't do to well down at Baffin this weekend... only 1 red and 10 keeper trout... better than a bad day at work, I reckon