Winchester 9mm ammo

bow_wave

Winchester 9mm ammo

Post by bow_wave »

I went to Academy today in Corpus Christi and bought some Winchester 9mm Luger, 115 gr. full metal jacket ammo for $4.86 per box of 50. That's the lowest I've seen if here. How does this price compare in other parts of Texas?
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

would prob. cost about $7.00 at the range...unless you were talking "total metal jacket" (back of bullet also encased), and that would be about $15.

fredtoo
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

fredtoo, it is target ammo. I know the stuff at the range is much higher than it is at Academy. I like to support the local gun shops, but their ammo prices are really high.
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

I only shoot the Winchester 9mm ball ammo at the range. It burns much cleaner than most others.

I'm due to find some more!

Phil
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The Winchester 9mm target full metal jacket round is a standard stock item at all Academy's. We sell "oodles" of these rounds every year. The $4.86 price is now far below what we used to sell it for, ($6.99), in the middle 90's. Winchester gives Academy a price break since we sell so much of it and our sales of this round keep increasing by leaps and bounds every year.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

Night Wing, I asked the guy behind the counter at the CC Academy for the Winchester 9 mm on sale. I was shocked when he told me that it wasn't on sale but that that was the regular price. What a pleasant surprise because that is the only ammo I use for practice. I've also switched to buying only Winchester Personal Protection +P 9 mm ammo.

I wish Ruger would make an accurate Ranch Rifle; I would buy one in a heart beat if they did. My brother has one, but I've read so much about the rifle's lack of accuracy, I've held off buying one. But whenever I walk by the gun rack in Academy, I always look to see if they have one on the rack.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Bow_Wave,

The sales person in the CC Academy is correct. That $4.86 sales price is our everyday price for the Winchester 9mm target round (FMJ).

There isn't much demand for a 9mm "rifle". It's not accurate enough. We sell tons of Ruger Mini 14's in 223 caliber. I'm still "badgering" our corporate firearms Buyer to let our Academy stores have the Ruger M-77 model to sell to the general public, but so far, no luck. I get the standard, "Not At This Time", answer.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

I have the Mini 14 ranch and I like it. Yeah, accuracy with iron sights sucks but hey, with 70 rounds hanging under the rifle I can hit what I want :D

Try the H&R Handy rifle if you want accuracy in a utility rifle. Single shot but bull barrel.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

Ranch Hand, do you have the wooden stock or synthetic stock on your mini? Is the mini suitable for use with a scope?
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

What you'd want to find if you plan on mounting a scope is the Ruger Ranch Rifle. The regular Mini-14 is a pain to mount a scope on and even when you do it won't be nearly so rigid as if you had just spent the extra $ for the Ranch Rifle. They are the same gun just that the Ranch Rifle has Ruger's integral bases and comes with a set of rings to match making mounting a scope a snap.

As far as accuracy you just gotta look at what it is you want to accomplish. If you need to shoot 1" groups at 100yds to be happy- move on. If you need a utility rifle capable of minute of hog or minute of coyote accuracy in a handy, quick and durable package then it's a good gun. I know a lot of farmers and ranchers who carry them for truck guns. Yeah, they are not near as accurate as most any decent bolt gun but they offer a lot of firepower and are very handy. Good stuff when it comes to knocking a hole in the hog population which is a major problem around here for the area farmers.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

Coastal, aren't the mini and ranch rifle the same except for ease of mounting a scope on the ranch rifle? Actually, I'd like an AR-15, but the ranch rifle cost a lot less. I may wait and see if congress lets the anti-"assault rifle" ban sunset. If they do, it would be worth the wait to get a rifle with all the goodies. Unfortunately, Dianne Feinstein is busily pushing her anti-gun aggenda, so I've got my fingers crossed.
govtmule

Post by govtmule »

The thing about mini-14s is you will see five that won't shoot inside 4" @ 100yrds and then pick one up that will drive tacks. I have seen them both ways. The trigers generally suck, but it is not designed to be a benchrest trigger. The basic design is sound because it is modeled off of the M1A and with a little work they can be customized to shoot like a dream.
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

Yeah, exactly the same except for the scope bases being integral on the Ranch Rifle.

Don't hold your breath, we won't see the ban repealed anytime soon IMO.

The AR-15 is a nice rifle. I have shot Colts and Bushmasters and if I were a farmer that would be my pickup gun. I know of a guy who has a MAJOR night vision riflescope on a target AR-15 and he works the hogs over. Drives his fields at night w/o lights and said when you shoot hogs they don't know where the shots are coming from so they scatter then bunch back up. He knocks a hole in them.

hogzndogz, it's a Ruger, of course the trigger sucks. :lol: I have seen the same thing, one shoots great and the next so-so.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

Mine is the stainless, synthetic ranch and it came with scope rings. The reason I got it over the AR-15 is because of the reasons that Coastal gave, plus it is very forgiving, easily accessorized, major firepower at a reasonable rate ($500 new), and because the rifle is extremely non-threatening when viewed or described.

Folks don't think of it as an assault rifle when they hear the name. "Ah... a ranch rifle, keeping farmers safe from pesky varmints." Instead of "Oh my, military assault rifle in the hands of a middle aged white male. Hope he ain't a postal worker!"

If you want to put 5 rounds rapid fire into a target the size of a pie pan at 100 yards, this gun is for you. If you want to shoot game like deer for accuracy and a single clean shot, keep on looking and get a bolt action 270 or 30-06.

After market hi-cap clips can be persnickety though if you go with the cheapies.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

What about after market magazines for the ranch rifle. Are they hard to find, at least ones that are of a good quality and they work.
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

Not especially hard to find but more costly all the time.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

Easy to find but ask pointed questions from a few gun shops on what brand works best with the Mini-14. Some feed much better than others.

The guy at Clips-R-Us at 361-939-9229 claims that some Asian 10 round clips he has for $19.95 are as good as the Original Ruger 5 round. He claims USA brand to be the worst, Western brand is slightly better than the USA for $16.95 for 30 round and $18.95 for a 40 round clip.

It seems that USA and Western are very prevalent but they are also the poorest quality for the Mini-14 according to most of the folks I have talked to.

I recently bought a pair of clear plastic 35 round clips that snap together for extra high capacity that the guy at Heritage Firearms swears by. Claims to never have had a problem with this style with his Mini-14. Paid $20 for the Eagle Beta-Mag 1435 and $30 for the Millet MA00006 but they are identical. Big difference from the traditional metal clips is in the loading. Load like a dream with little effort since they have a pair of steel coils that extend with the ammo as it is loaded as opposed to pushing down a spring. Have not tried them out yet though on the range.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

Paid $20 for the Eagle Beta-Mag 1435 and $30 for the Millet MA00006 but they are identical. Big difference from the traditional metal clips is in the loading. Load like a dream with little effort since they have a pair of steel coils that extend with the ammo as it is loaded as opposed to pushing down a spring. Have not tried them out yet though on the range.

Tried the clear plastic clips today. Wonderful! Easy feeding with no jams. Gonna trade in my stainless 30 rd clip for another plastic one.[/quote]