Need advice with shotguns

BigBuck

Need advice with shotguns

Post by BigBuck »

I am buying a new shotgun for my wife for doves and sporting clays. She is an experienced hunter but only started wing shooting last year. I want to get her an automatic 20ga. I shoot an over/under citori, for numerous reasons she wants an auto and I agree. She has shot Remingtons and Franci's (not spelled correctly). She has settled on either the Beretta Urika youth model or the Bennelli Montefeltro. (probably not spelled correctly either). Has anyone had experience with either? I have been told that the Benelli will have more felt recoil because it is inertia operated and the Beretta is gas operated. Any thoughts? They are in the same price range, so that is not much of a factor. Please don't say use a pump, she has three of those, and does not like o/u's for some reason.
Thanks
RttlTrap
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RttlTrap »

BB - Those both look like great guns, but I haven't tried either. Browning's Gold Micro is similar and in the same price range (link). I had a chance to shoot one last year at a buddy's dove lease. His wife uses it and she shot clays with us for a couple of hours and never once acted like the recoil bothered her at all.
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

You can't go wrong with either one. I was going to buy a Benelli 20 ga a few years back to take to Argentina dove hunting. Couldn't find one anywhere,all the dealers were out and were not going to get any in time. So I bought a 391 20ga, it was new on the market and I had reservations about it being a new design. Well, I shouldn't have had reservations. It's a wonderful shotgun, soft recoil and able to take the abuse of an Argentina dove hunt where I fed up to 2000 rounds a day thru it for 4 days and never had a single hiccup. I's highly recommend either one but if I were to do it again I'd stick with the 391. I have just been really happy with it.
BigBuck

Shotguns

Post by BigBuck »

Thanks Coastal. I was hoping someone had first-hand knowledge of one or both of these guns. She is leaning toward the 391, I prefer the Benelli. It is hers, so she will make the final decision. I have always wanted to do an Argentenian dove hunt. I have talked to several people who said there is nothing like it. Damaged their shoulders for months. Hope you can get in on our little group hunt at Bill's place. We are trying to get the details together.
wilded

Post by wilded »

Go with the Berreta. Less recoil. Also I would consider the 12 gauge with light loads, it will have less recoil than the 20 with cheap dove loads and she will hit more birds with the larger pattern and longer shot string. ET :D
BigBuck

Shotguns

Post by BigBuck »

Thanks Coastal, rattletrap and wilded. We have looked at them all, and we have decided on the Beretta 391. I talked to people who shoot competition clays, and they said the beretta gets the nod for reliability and less felt recoil. Now to find the best price. Shopping for guns, now that is something I can get into! :)
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

You will love the gun. Trust me, I have had Benelli SBEs, Beretta 390/391/Pintail including the 391 20 I mentioned, as far as reliability you are splitting hairs. They are both just excellent lines of shotguns. I'd own either one and be happy with it. You will be pleased with the light recoil. It's the most pleasant 20ga I have ever shot. Very soft shooting. Not such a big deal here in Texas but head south to Argentina and it becomes a huge deal.

She will love the gun.

I doubt I'll make it to any dove hunt. I guide for a local outfitter thru hunting season and we will be busy getting ready for teal season or with teal season. I just hope it is like last year. We had a super teal season and had tons of doves to boot. Matter of fact it was kinda wierd for our area, we usually have a few doves but last season it was solid limits for every group I took out. There is nothing better than a limit of teal, a nap, lunch and then a limit of doves. Well except maybe teal and then a limit of reds. Tough choice.
BigBuck

shotgun

Post by BigBuck »

I found an Oshmans that had the youth model 391 for under $700. Gonna go get it tomorrow. Coastal, I may have to look you up for a teal/dove hunt. I love hunting teal. I used to be an avid duck and goose hunter, always had a bird lease somewhere. My wife and kids did not like the cold and mud, but enjoyed deer hunting so we concentrated on that. Funny how the older you get the less time you seem to have for the fun stuff. I found out today that our JCAHO inspection at the hospital (believe me, a big deal) is Sept. 21-24. I may not get to take any time off in late August or early September, except maybe sneak out for an afternoon hunt close to home. After that, though, I will be takin' some time out! Hopefully, there will be some teal season left. Once seasons are set, I may contact you about a hunt. About what are the rates?, and do you fill up? Thanks again for the input.
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

SOunds good, we'd love to have you out.

The outfit I guide for specializes in goose hunts and bay duck hunts. The owner doesn't really push the teal hunts so we don't really book up heavily at all, really just some of our regulars come down to hunt teal. Teal and doves are just real unpredictable. Last year we could have filled the lodge and everyone would have had good shoots. Other years they don't get here until late or they are here and gone. Doves are even more unpredictable. It can make for unhappy hunters if they don't show on time or if they leave early and the last thing you want to do is run off good customers over a teal hunt.

You could even wait until the season gets here and I can give you a report so you can make an informed decision on if you want to spend the money or not.

I honestly am not sure on rates for teal and dove season. I can give you an email address and a phone number to talk with the owner of the lodge. Seems like teal hunts were less than the goose hunts but I don't remember the exact $. Somewhere in the $100-125 range I think. Doves were like $40 for the afternoon last year but he will only run dove hunts if we have enough birds to have a good shoot so that is kinda a spur of the moment thing. Last year we were blessed but who knows this year.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

BB, since you know what you want, buy the gun at the best price...but don't do it without checking with Carter's on I-10 first. They are VERY knowledgable about guns (I would bet more than they are at Oshman's) and they really treat you well.

they also have a repair shop there.

good luck,
fredtoo
BigBuck

Carter's

Post by BigBuck »

Thanks Fredtoo. I went by there, as well as 2 other Carter's stores. They do have very knowledgable sales people, and I have bought most of my guns in the last 20 years there. However, in checking around because I did not know what I wanted, I found that Oshman's is $150 less on the same shotgun. I am too cheap to pass up that big of a savings. Funny thing, I found the price varied at Oshman's on the same gun by $100. :shock: You would think the same store would be consistant on price. Carters has always had good prices on guns, I have bought 12-15 there. Thanks for the heads up.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

BB...you have done your homework, and I would do exactly what you are doing.

fredtoo
BigBuck

Shotgun

Post by BigBuck »

Just to finish off the thread. We stopped in at Oshman's on Fry rd. on the way home from the deer lease today. Of course, the salesman who told me last week they had the Beretta 391 youth model did not know what he was talking about. They did, however, have the full size 391 in 20 ga. for $699. My wife liked the feel of the full size, so we picked it up. Boy, fell in love while we were there. They had a Ruger Red Label, 20 ga. o/u that had the prettiest wood on a field grade gun I have seen in a long time. Trim, sleek, light, got my blood pumping just handling her. I wish I had the $1099 laying around, I would sure pick her up and take her home!! Something else to put on my wish list.