1st time kayak fishing - best rental in Port A

jlawrie

1st time kayak fishing - best rental in Port A

Post by jlawrie »

My sons and I will be going to Port A next week. We love fishing when we're down there, but have never tried from the kayaks. There are several web sites offering excursions. I'd like some suggestions as to which one would be best for us. It'll be me, two 17 yr olds, 1 12 yr old and 2 9 year olds. I'm thinking 3 tandem kayaks. Looking for best price AND best experience and MOSTLY: most fish.

Thanks in advance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

if i aint mistaken, slowride is down in those neck of the woods. i would go talk to him
mperk

Post by mperk »

Hands down Slowride would be my choice!!! Just past the HEB in AP on left.
mloving

Post by mloving »

Slowride is in Aransas Pass - quite a drive from Port Arthur. Probably somebody closer. mike
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I'm betting Port A = Port Aransas.

I'd go with Slowride if you are looking for a guide/outing. If you are just looking to rent kayaks and want to go across the ferry from Port Aransas, Slowride is your man for that too.

You aren't going to find anyone more fun to fish with or knowledgable of the area.
DebiB

Post by DebiB »

If your looking for a guided Trip.. Make sure the company or Guide you decide on is Licensed. For the Aransas Pass area Dean Slowride Thomas of Slowride Guide Service if he is busy which he is most weekends you might try Jason Brou of Tripleoutdoors.com out of Rockport, Filip "Fishman" Spencer out of Corpus along with Steve Utley of Blue Heron Adventures is also out of Corpus. Ken Bankes "Aransas on the fly"There are a few others as well and if I left one of you out it was not intentional
mloving

Post by mloving »

oops...dummie
Trout686

Post by Trout686 »

Slowride
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

what about Scott "Let's Go" Null....???? isn't he in that area too??

letsgofishing.com .... I think
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Scott's website is letsgofishing.net. He guides further up the coast.
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

My .02

Post by fryemup »

yea right-- Lets GO? when he isn't finishing off the powdered donuts. Looks like he got a real job now..

If you wanted a guide-- I can highly recommend SlowRide-- He has patience and the ability to get down to a childs level. My son always learned something and Dean kept him interested, whereas fishing with me--He is BORED.

I bet by the time you look at the cost of renting 3 or 4 yaks, it comes real close to go ahead and biting the bullet and go with a guide.
1) No messing with kayaks or gear (Kids can be brutal on gear) No cleanup etc. which means.. You show up on time, you leave right after that, You go meet the missus and you aren't worn out, the kids are... :lol:
2) The learning curve down there can be immense. there are tons of areas to explore, a guide can help.
Lat22

Post by Lat22 »

Jerry B's is another good option if you'll be skipping the ferry (which I recommend) and driving around through Corpus.