Kayak fishing in Destin / Ft. Walton Flordia Area

Jhardeman

Kayak fishing in Destin / Ft. Walton Flordia Area

Post by Jhardeman »

My wife and I will be in the Destin area in early June and will likely bring our kayaks. I would like to know if any of you have fished that area? Where are good fishing spots? What is generally caught there and what type of bait?

Thanks

Sparky Hardeman
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

I've never been personally but I've heard good things. There are some flats inside the pass between Ft. Walton & Destin in Choctawhatchee Bay. I'd say they would be a good place to fish depending on what the tide is doing.
GasMan

Post by GasMan »

I have fished the Perdido key area a number of times. It is probably an hour away from the Destin area. At Perdido Key, I have caught a number of species from shore in the surf on pink mirrorlures including bluefish, ladyfish, and spanish mackerel. I fished the mirrolure very fast through the surf. Also caught some pompano on johnson spoons. Fishing the surf at night I caught whiting and redfish on cigar minnows fished on bottom.

On the bay side, I have caught trout, reds, various types of small grouper, a few small barrucada, lots of lizard fish on my last trip (ugh!), sheepshead, and stingrays. Overall, I have caught more species of fish in the Florida panhandle than I have in Texas. In the bay, I caught the above fish on gulp shrimp, corkies (fished totally incorrectly like a crankbait), and dead shrimp.

I have taken the kayak out into the surf once in florida. Went out to the color change and caught ladyfish on virtually every catch (see post below). Of course I was nervous about sharks the whole time when I was out there. The shallow water in the surf was beautiful. Large schools of pompano and rays went below us repeatedly.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... highlight=
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

You can fish the area adjacent to the Bay Bridge on the Destin side adjacent to the boat dealership. There are some reds and trout in there at times. Lots of sharks as well, so watch your hands when you go to grab a fish that's on your line.
freespool
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by freespool »

I am in Port Isabel right now, but will be back to houston next weekend. Get with me then. I lived in Destin for 10 years and was a Guide there. Till then check out http://gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/
Choupique

Post by Choupique »

Inshore:
Try launching at the Destin bridge launch on the west side and go north. Fish the getty by the coast guard station.. then past it on the left bank there are some good grass flats. I like fishing topwater at night there. Once the sun comes up you will have little time before the crowds show up and start anchoring up at “crab island” (a big sandbar / tailgate) If I had to go during the day I would stop over and get some live shrimp at the tackle shop. If that is not happening go over to Destin Harbor and go fish by the pump station way in the back.

Offshore: try trolling frozen cigar minnows on stinger rigs in about 40' of water off the coast... thats about 1/2 of a mile off the coast there. Good kingfish / bonita action. Some spots that are good are around the Ft. Walton Pier and around the Miss. Louis Wreck which is right off the beach south of where BassPro is... Check some dive resource site for exact gps... but you better get your fishing in before 9:00am when the dive boat start showing up. (leash your stuff or loose it.... )

good luck
cmg76

Re: Kayak fishing in Destin / Ft. Walton Flordia Area

Post by cmg76 »

we do guided kayak fishing trips in the Destin/Ft walton beach area. We offer very competitive prices and catch alot of fish! email me at cmg76@yahoo.com if interested! Family friendly!