What do you know about 14' Aquatera Prism Kayaks?

Kooman

Post by Kooman »

Good paddling never used for fishing, I could keep up with the sit ins. Wet ride though ( like most SOT )
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: hate to bring up an old topic but...

Post by CaptJack »

ReefRashHawaii wrote:I read almost every post about the Prism in these and other forums. TKF also seems to have the most Prism owners / past owners. I have chance to pick up a Prism here on Oahu,HI for $325.

My question is how it handles surf launches and landings. Is this yak ONLY good on the flat water? I own a Malibu Pro2 and paddle it solo and of course it's a barge. I've also owned in the past a waveski that was a dream to paddle and ride open ocean swells in. I just want to be able to get to the spots I usually go to, 1 to 2mi. offshore, and be able to come back in without worrying about presenting a "yard sale". :wink:

With conditions usually at 1'-2' ft (2' to 4' faces) and winds between 10-20mph, should I look for another 'yak?

Thanks for the info!
Aloha,
RR

BTW - here's a picture of the yak for sale.
I had the knee straps for my Prisms - I played with them in the surf all the time - much fun
you need the knee straps so you stay connected to the boat and you can use your lower body to manipulate the yak like a sea kayak (SINK)
immadmacs

Post by immadmacs »

I just bought a two scupper hole model in the Austin area for 350. It was garage kept and looks immaculate. I took it out for a short ride today. I love this kayak! I thought it was very stable compared to the rounded bottom kayak I built. It is a nice median between an extremely stable (translation: barge) kayak and a touring sink. I thought it was very fast. I agree that it is not a kayak for a large person. I'm between 160-165 and it was cruising nicely when I was by myself. When I added my son's 60# friend in the back, it was a noticeable difference. I noticed that the scupper hole had a ball in them (or one did) similar to a sunfish. It is supposed to float and stop the incoming water, and the suction/ weight from the water should cause it to drain when you are underway. Unfortunately the rubber seals are not in the greatest condition, so it didn't work too well. I'm hoping I'll be able to find replacements, but that made for a wet ride. The previous owner had wine corks in the rubber stoppers. I may be able to find a couple of those around the house........ Rigging will be interesting since the storage areas are all below deck. I'm looking forward to it, as I think it will provide a stable (low gravity center) ride when I complete it. It has one Ram mount in the center. I'll have to decide whether I want to use it for a rod or my depth finder. If anyone has rigged one, I'd be interested in ideas.
Attachments
aquaterra1.jpg
aquaterra1.jpg (7.66 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
aquaterra2.jpg
aquaterra2.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

That's a great find to get a 2 holed scupper Prism.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What do you know about 14' Aquatera Prism Kayaks?

Post by Ron Mc »

very strange thread to top randomly after 12 years
Even with a post quote, you're unlikely to get a reply after this time.
Here's a better thread about old school kayaks and why we love them -
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2284358