why i do not support big boat redfish tourneys....

slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

why i do not support big boat redfish tourneys....

Post by slowride »

these guys come to town and have zero respect for the ecology and will run their boats in the shallowest flats with no regard for the damage they do.

i will never fish with an american rodsmith rod either if this is the kind of activity they support.

these guys were in the lighthouse lakes today and all over redfish bay for the past couple of days (as well as many other wrapped tower boats). they circled the flats and and stopped and started about ten times in the big lake behind the lighthouse churning mud and just generally disturbing every fish in the area. then they proceed to the next lake where i can see them over the mangroves circling every inch of a lake that has no more than 12 inches of water at high tide. after they do laps for about ten minutes in that lake they come back into my lake and pass in front of my drift then come around behind me and buzz the cove i just left.

too much money influences bad behavior and if you asked these guys on camera how they treat the ecology when they are out there you will hear them sing a different song from what i see them do every time they come to town. even if they are not going to fish it tomorrow, it will be burnt for the next guy, and that is just the way they play.

Jawz529

Post by Jawz529 »

GREAT job on getting them on cam.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Seems like that is in the no prop scar zone isn't it?
Minnow
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Minnow »

I hear ya Dean and respect what you are saying but don't wrap all power boat tourney anglers into that lasso. Just like any community there are bad apples and there are good apples....I have seen kayakers act just as stupid. I think (and hope) you just caught one of them acting up. Give Robert Scherrer a ring and let him know how you feel!
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Go get em Slowride

Post by fryemup »

Just wish they would have hit that damned Oyster reef that keeps tearing the bottom of my yak off. Thats always a neat and funny sound,, Engines roaring full blast, then WHAM! loud noise, then some serious 4 letter words from two guys thrown out of their boat on top of the reef.

Yep I need another beer to laugh that one off!

Don't get me wrong I love PB at times. But I think they are on sacred fishing grounds that should always be revered.

Its kind of like going into someones church,,, and hollering across the church.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I sure wish there was a way to ban the "burning" tactic. From what I've seen and heard quite a few of these guys do it as a defensive move. Burning someone else's water so their fish are all screwed up. Simply makes no sense to me. Purely poor sportsmanship. And like you said, no regard for the environment or the people fishing there. Total BS!!!

That said, the tournaments are here to stay. Too much money involved for them to go away. Now how to regulate them?

I fished a couple of these tourneys this year and did it the right way, or what I would consider the right way. I went in on the push pole or with the trolling motor only. I never fired up the big motor until we were clear of the shallows. At the Port Arthur RFC Benny and I went way back into the Sabine NWR to get away from these idiots. I poled the boat for an hour to reach a promising looking piece of marsh that we felt sure was virtually untouched. The few fish we saw were skittish as hell. After the tourney was over we learned that there had been at least five boats burning that marsh throughout the week. According to the LAW they were not supposed to use their outboards outside of the few large named bayous. The lakes they were burning were miles away frm the bayous. Sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's an issue that needs to be addressed, but how? Perhaps contacting the sponsors of those brightly wrapped boats and issuing complaints? Maybe exposing them on public forums? Or perhaps TPWD could get involved and ticket the idiots for destroying the grass beds or operating their craft in an unsafe manner?
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

Minnow wrote:I hear ya Dean and respect what you are saying but don't wrap all power boat tourney anglers into that lasso. Just like any community there are bad apples and there are good apples....I have seen kayakers act just as stupid. I think (and hope) you just caught one of them acting up. Give Robert Scherrer a ring and let him know how you feel!

i am sure that most of these guys are good people and have much respect and love for their home waters. but when you put the money and the tv coverage out there, these guys will do things that they wouldn't do on any other day.

it is the lack of courtesy or flats etiquette or whatever you want to call it that goes out the window at tournament time.

i'm out there every day and i never see the kind of disrespect for other anglers that you see with tournament anglers. i would rather fish with all the tourist in the world on fourth of july weekend than be out there with these guys. at least tourists come by their mistakes honestly. thses guys know it's rude and do it any way.

and i know most of these boats are rigged to run shallow and do that very well, but just because you can, doesn't make it right.
willee

Post by willee »

Tyler wrote:Seems like that is in the no prop scar zone isn't it?
Yeah ... but where is the ENFORCEMENT?
Minnow
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Minnow »

slowride wrote:
Minnow wrote:I hear ya Dean and respect what you are saying but don't wrap all power boat tourney anglers into that lasso. Just like any community there are bad apples and there are good apples....I have seen kayakers act just as stupid. I think (and hope) you just caught one of them acting up. Give Robert Scherrer a ring and let him know how you feel!

i am sure that most of these guys are good people and have much respect and love for their home waters. but when you put the money and the tv coverage out there, these guys will do things that they wouldn't do on any other day.

it is the lack of courtesy or flats etiquette or whatever you want to call it that goes out the window at tournament time.

i'm out there every day and i never see the kind of disrespect for other anglers that you see with tournament anglers. i would rather fish with all the tourist in the world on fourth of july weekend than be out there with these guys. at least tourists come by their mistakes honestly. thses guys know it's rude and do it any way.

and i know most of these boats are rigged to run shallow and do that very well, but just because you can, doesn't make it right.
Absolutely. Keith and I have 3 teams (not including Keith's or mine) that we sponsor fulltime that fish all the major tourneys and I can guarantee that I would want to know if any of our guys were acting up or deliberately harming the environment. We also sponsor smaller teams like Benny's and Let's Go.....I know these guys have nothing but the best intentions and are an advocate to improving our fisheries not "burning" them.

I will say this.....there are some companies that pro-staff whoever is hot at the moment not getting to know the actual person or team they are sponsoring but rather the number of wins. Seriously Dean, after the last RFC and the number of teams "burning" I imagine something will be done about it in the 2008 rules....I would call Scherrer.
willee

Post by willee »

let's go wrote: Maybe exposing them on public forums? Or perhaps TPWD could get involved and ticket the idiots for destroying the grass beds or operating their craft in an unsafe manner?
That is a great idea!
Most Yakers have cameras and if we post up photos of the bad actors caught in the act perhaps the sponsors will get some phone calls about their 'representatives'.
If the sponsor threatens to cut off the money things WILL change.

BTW: I WAS considering purchasing a new H3 rod but not anymore!
Just this one post cost them one sale for sure.
FISHMAN
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Rock Port--Corpus Christi--KAYAK FISHING GUIDE www.fishmansguideservice.com / Team Ocean Kayak.com

Post by FISHMAN »

I'm glad you posted that picture I was in south bay yesterday and the redfish cup guys were running all over the place. They were in a lot of the places that are against the law to run their motor. They were in a drift, pull or troll area only and they tore up a lot of grass and scarred up a lot of area. :evil: You would think whenever these tournaments come to town that the game wardens would keep more of an eye out for the boat's scarring and tearing up the grass in the non motor areas....
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

Does this tournament series have a web site with a forum? If so, post up the pictures and a detailed account.. Call these bums out on their own forum and let them explain themselves. I think an email to the tourney directors would be in order along with sending a CC of the email to TXPWD if these guys in fact are breaking the law. Put their tournament lively hoods on the line because of a few rotten apples and just maybe some changes will be made.

If we as a collective group continue to be silent, It will only get worse.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I do not participate in ANY fishing tournament for, basically, the same reasons mentioned above. I, for one, consider anything other than fun fishing to be a blasphemous assault against nature and nature's gifts to us.

I'm aware that some folks fish for food. Fine with me. However, in most cases fish can be purchased in a grocery store for far less than a boating week-end costs.

The fishing tournaments that I've observed during the past five years don't seem to have much to do with having fun. Seventy mile per hour boats. Participants nervously throwing up the morning of the tournament. BURNING the shore lines. Generally putting the rules and good sportsmanship temporarily on the back shelf. Using our delicate and all too rapidly diminishing resources to show others how big their fish (or d@%k) is.

Bring back the fun tournaments. Let guys like Dean and Scott design and run these things. They believe as many of us do, that the rules of law and reason are meant for all of us......while participating in tournaments or not.

{slipping quietly off of my high horse}
galvbay

Post by galvbay »

From their own rule book....

5. Sportsmanship
All contestants are required to practice courtesy, safety and follow local and state game laws. Anyone displaying poor sportsmanship or violating game laws will be subject to a fine or disqualification.

http://redfishcup.com/Rules_RFC.aspx
JK5

Post by JK5 »

Slowride
This is my stomping ground as well, i was out yesturday and the day before and i was wondering why there was so much boat traffic during the week, now I know why, There is not a enought room to run these boats in Aransas, just the other day, I was swamped in the sailboat channel, the dude did not even slow down, usually its not a big deal but I was fishing and the sailboat channel is narrow. I support you 100% and something has to be done.

Craig
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

I believe this is the redfish tourney this weekend in RP.

http://redfish.flwoutdoors.com/

Contact Us

Main Contact:
FLW Outdoors
30 Gamble Lane
Benton KY 42025

(270) 252-1000
info@flwoutdoors.com

AND

http://www.redfishtour.com/tournaments/ ... ort07.html

Administrative Offices
The Inshore Fishing Association Inc.,
P.O. Box 368
Lizella, GA 31052-0368

Phone: Phone: 478-788-8871
Fax: 478-781-9858
Email: office@redfishtour.com
Last edited by double dip on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red fish hole

Post by red fish hole »

Call Robert @ TTF I think he is the head dude or one of the heads.
Really would hurt these company's bottom line if people stop using there
products. To me that's the only way to get people to give a hoot, you start messing with their BIG MONEY, and I'am sure you wil get something done....Cal Robert (316)575-4751.......RFH
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

Yep. Count me in for the boycott.

No mas American Rodsmiths!

Crap like that makes me wanna...........................
Crank-B8
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crank-B8 »

red fish hole wrote:Call Robert @ TTF I think he is the head dude or one of the heads.
Really would hurt these company's bottom line if people stop using there
products. To me that's the only way to get people to give a hoot, you start messing with their BIG MONEY, and I'am sure you wil get something done....Cal Robert (316)575-4751.......RFH
I think you have the companies confused.

Robert Scherer is the president of American Rodsmiths, not TTF. The boat pictured has an American Rodsmiths wrap.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

now I know why I couldn't find any reds the other day.
Flatfisher

Post by Flatfisher »

I am in complete agreement that this behavior must stop. Dean, thank you for bringing it to our attention. I think TPWD needs to hear from us so they will enforce the laws and we need to complain to the directors of this particular tournament.

But what tournament was Dean describing?

Also, as I understand it, in places like Estes Flats PB's can run, but it's illegal to scar the bottom. Now how can that be enforced?
It's rediculous, IMHO. I think PB's should be excluded from areas this shallow that has seagrass growing.

My next move is to email a complaint to TPWD and include the link to this thread.
Shallow Impact

Post by Shallow Impact »

Tried emailing American Rodsmiths (info@americanrodsmiths.com and sales@americanrodsmiths.com) and got a delivery status "failed" reply for both. I wonder if their email server is overloaded.
Syco

Post by Syco »

I got them back, yes I had my moment of glory against them, about a month ago they were fishing the upper coast Sabine lake, pass and jetties, well we were out in the power boat and at the jetties when a sponsored boat cut off my drift about 20 yards in front of me, well the jetties were packed that day and I know I dont own the water but cutting off my drift is a terrible thing to do, well the guy in the front was casting while the guy in the back was snacking on a sandwich, they asked if we were in the tourney and I told them no just looking for a few trout for the cooler, he said "yall should have been here yesterday I caught a 7 pounder and an 8 pounder yesterday right off the bat, at this point Im really pissed so I told them about the honey hole we just left off the texas coast where we were catching solid slot reds all morning and caught our limit and left them to catch some trout, so it took about 5 nanoseconds for the guy in the back of the boat to crank up and off they went twords the birds...............

Well I didnt lie to those guys, we had found birds about 15 minutes before running into those guys but it was nothing but hardheads under them I hope they caught their limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hogheaven

Post by Hogheaven »

flw and RFN both this weekend. 100 boats Thursday, less on Friday then 5 on Sat. for the FLW. Then 100 boats from RFN on Sat. and then some on Sunday.

Ill take Labor Day crowds over this coming weekend anyDay. Ill be out in the mess anyway this weekend.
As Far as enforcement of Grass Violations, they are out there and they are writing citations. I think though that GWs boats are not capable of running in some of that water, and they really dont run the airboat till duck season. And even if they can run in there they prolly wouldnt, they just glass the offender and wait till he comes out in deep waters.
I would guess a cuople well placed calls would get them out with the binos.
The got great optics and a cool video cam.

Rockport leo office tpwd.
Rockport — 715 S. Highway 35, Rockport, TX 78382; 361/790-0312
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboa...fice_locations/

I know Dean has a few numbers, as well as I to a couple local GWs. Remember also that if youread rules to many tourneys, a ticket by any Law enforcment DQS the team, Broken Tail light, Speeding, water infraction, etc. So Call away.
Last edited by Hogheaven on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel78222
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by daniel78222 »

these guys think they are above the law some thing should be done soon