UNFREAKIN BELIEVABLE!! check this out.

F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

CCKAYAKER wrote:Do we add Pelicans to the Dolphin list? I'll ask Dave what he thinks. LOL

... :shock: dolphins! where?

what I thought was pretty scary is that when I was bringing my catch to the ramp, it looked like I was gonna get dive bombed from about ten pelicans that were hovering overhead. I kept thinking "I sure wish I had my hyper helmet!
slcooper

Post by slcooper »

Barnacle Bill wrote:I guess we know the answer to "How many anglers does it take to get a hook out of a pelican".

Very cool story!!! I'm glad the pelican is ok. Now he has a great story to tell his pelican buddies!

"There I was, flying along with Mike and Joe and this guy casts a lure right over my back. Then he tows me in and nearly drowns me a few times. I'm trying to figure out how to get the hook out of my wing when one of his friends tries and throws a towel over my head! I knew I was in for it then and fought my way out. I took off one guy's hand and broke the other 2 guy's legs and then used a mansfield mauler that was laying on the ground to get the hook out of my wing. As I flew off I pooped all over his kayak and set the fuel pumps on fire. You guys shoulda been there!"
LMAO, good story FOC! Even better than the one where the dove $hit on your yak!
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

we hang them often when surf fishing, couple a year. There beaks sound like someone slamming two 2x4s together. But like said above, there "bark" is worst then the bite.
The Trout Scout

Post by The Trout Scout »

Several years ago after a charter I was cruising in from Goose Ilse and I had my deck hand Big Daddy riding shot gun with me on our way to grab some lunch. I decided to stop in Fulton to check my mail at the Post Office.

Came out from checking the mail and saw Big Daddy in that big yard across the street from the Post Office with one of our fishing towels wrestling around with something on the ground and he's yelling at me at the top of his voice to hurry up and come help. :shock: :?

So I did.

It was a Blue Heron with a topwater hooked on it's inner wing and then hooked to it's body. It couldn't spread that one wing much at all.

It took a little bit of finesse, but Big Daddy and I, as gently as possible, removed the hooks and soon had the Blue Heron on it's merry way. :D 8)

One of the most interesting trips to the Post Offive I've ever had.
:wink:

Capt. Rex
Last edited by The Trout Scout on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t.chris

Post by t.chris »

:shock: I am very impressed that you took pics during that. Man I am a wimp for not taking pics while fishing. Here you are chronicling a saga! I might have thought you were embellishing a little, but the pics are the proof in the pudding. Great job!
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

t.chris wrote::shock: I am very impressed that you took pics during that. Man I am a wimp for not taking pics while fishing. Here you are chronicling a saga! I might have thought you were embellishing a little, but the pics are the proof in the pudding. Great job!
...it was a long peddle back. I got bored. :lol: :lol:
t.chris

Post by t.chris »

I know someone has asked this before, but I can't remember, what kind of camera do you use. The pics are always top notch! I am thinking of upgrading mine.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

t.chris wrote:I know someone has asked this before, but I can't remember, what kind of camera do you use. The pics are always top notch! I am thinking of upgrading mine.
...pentax optio w30.
MikeSSS

Post by MikeSSS »

I hooked a seagull once at Bob Hall Pier (when it was wood).

You use a small trebble hook and a chunk of white bread. Cast into the air.

Seagull fish put up a pretty good fight and a noisy one too.

They taste just like chicken.......month old, unrefrigerated chicken.

PS, that was a great story!
Nim Rod

Post by Nim Rod »

FOC you're always tinkerin'...now that you got a fast yak why dont you come up with a pelican wake board?
Lowrider

Post by Lowrider »

glad to see you practice catch and release 8)
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I caught this last month on a night trip at Lake Raven.

Also caught a mallard duck last year at conroe no pics.

In Puerto Villarta two years ago my wife and I saved a pelican that was tangled up in some fishing line and a treble hook. Used my shirt as a hood and we were able to cut him free. That was a trip.

Great story.
Lat22

Post by Lat22 »

I bet you earned a little good karma for that one. Great story.
big_wes

Post by big_wes »

A buddy and I once hooked a pelican on a trot line at Lake Somerville. We got up early that morning to check our lines, and there it was. It was successfully released after it gave us a beating with its wings while we were unhooking it.
Hi

Post by Hi »

What a morning
Turner

Post by Turner »

FOC,
Great story. Very cool for being kind to the pelican. i hope he appreciated it... :?

About 12 years ago, a buddy and I were shark fishing off of Ventura, CA, when a Cormorant went after my buddies mackeral on double 10/0 hooks. Well in the fray, the bird ended up with a hook through BOTH the top and bottom of it's bill from the bottom. I think you could have heard that bird sqwaking in the harbour 15 miles away!! I have a pic somewhere with my buddy holding the bird under his arm trying to extract the hook from both parts of the bill. He pressed the barb down and backed the hook out. Not before getting cut to ribbons himself. I'll bet that bird dribbled when he drank from then on....