The New MALIBU KAYAKS X-Wing Slider

Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The New MALIBU KAYAKS X-Wing Slider

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Ever since Jim Sammons gave his ICAST report, people have been asking me for details on the new X-Wing Slider ...... here it is in a nutshell.

The X-Wing is a new sliding console that holds electronics, tools, gear, etc. It's designed to be customized by the owner, and as you can see from the pics it will hold everything from rods to fish finders to GPS units to cell phones to ipods :shock: and whatever else you can think to mount on it.

The one in the pics is the prototype; the production model will have a net on the right side of the console to hold a plastic tackle tray. There is a round hatch on the left side that opens up the console for a 12v lawn tractor battery and dry storage for whatever else you need to store. The area above the cup holder has already been redesigned to hold pliers and a small knife, plus it now has a lip to hold lures/hooks and other goodies.

The Wing is fully adjustable; it slides back and forth on rails (18+ inches of travel), locks into place wherever the user wants it, and it will have a quick release to get it out of the way quick if needed. It will retail for around $100, and will fit any model kayak on the market as well as canoes.

Last edited by Skinnyfeet on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I like this idea! :D Compass, red/green bow navigation light, rod holders, drink holder. :D :D So, who is going to be selling it and when will it be available to the public?
corkpopper
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by corkpopper »

Oh great, another piece of equipment I need for my kayak. Just when I thought I was done spending on the kayak you post this item. :wink:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Right now, I want to see how sturdy the connection is to the rails that hold it in place on the yak.
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Night Wing wrote:Right now, I want to see how sturdy the connection is to the rails that hold it in place on the yak.

Looks like the same stuff that foot pegs go on. Maybe with a more permanent locking mechanism? It's a prototype.
Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Night Wing wrote:Right now, I want to see how sturdy the connection is to the rails that hold it in place on the yak.

The rails are the same rails used on adjustable foot rests, so they hold plenty strong! The boat that its mounted to in the pics is an X Factor (65+lbs); I lifted the boat off the ground by the wing several times to answer that same question for folks at the show.

As for who will be carrying it, all of our existing Malibu dealers will and since it fits on all boats, other dealers as well. I have a LOT of follow up after last week, but hopefully it will be on the shelves within the next month or so ..... production is supposed to start immediately.
Last edited by Skinnyfeet on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

At first, I thought this was going to be an off topic thread about a secret military plane. :lol:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Skinnyfeet wrote:

The rails are the same rails used on adjustable foot rests, so they hold plenty strong!

Maybe, just maybe, there could be an optional stainless steel rail for it besides the plastic rail. If one is going to spend $100 for it, I would spend a little more for the stainless steel rail. Just a thought on my part.
TL

Post by TL »

Wow!!!

That thing is neat..
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

sherwood wrote:At first, I thought this was going to be an off topic thread about a secret military plane. :lol:

I thought it was going to be about star wars :oops:
Glad it wasn't.
Looks cool! :D
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

DelSol wrote:
sherwood wrote:At first, I thought this was going to be an off topic thread about a secret military plane. :lol:

I thought it was going to be about star wars :oops:
Glad it wasn't.
Looks cool! :D

The Force is strong in Kayaking :shock:
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Can you slide it on and off the boat or is it permanent? I sure do like it. It's a lot easier to store things in front than trying to bend around to get things behind you.
DPT

Post by DPT »

Excellent idea!!
It looks like you could make it so that the navigation light telescopes up at night and down during the day.
Great product.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Whoops!! I read the description again, and saw where it does come off. Sorry!!
word-doctor

Post by word-doctor »

Put me down for one. My tandem (Tarpon) doesn't have a console and I don't want to mount anything permanently amidship. Great idea and execution.
cornwoody

Post by cornwoody »

Very cool Brad, Lets see I need 3 plus mounts for my truck wifes van...Oh ok just mounts and one then since its only for kayaks and Conoes.. Could I put one on my mountian bike?? Might have to modify it a touch.
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

How does it compensate for the varying widths in kayaks, or did I miss that part?

An X-facctor is 33' wide. Seems like a guy that wants to mount it on his 28" wide Tarpon might have some issues in getting it to straddle and fit correctly.

Interesting idea, though.
Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Spuds (Piscator Eximius) wrote:How does it compensate for the varying widths in kayaks, or did I miss that part?

An X-facctor is 33' wide. Seems like a guy that wants to mount it on his 28" wide Tarpon might have some issues in getting it to straddle and fit correctly.

Interesting idea, though.

The runners are roughly 23" apart, which will allow it to fit on all but the most narrow kayaks. The way I understand it (I haven't actually seen it yet), there is an adapter kit for boats that need it.

When it becomes available I'll post pics of it on various hulls ..........
cornwoody

Post by cornwoody »

That makes sense I can't see a guy in a 22" wide yak wanting to mount something like this, Easier to go wider than narrower.
TexasDiver

Post by TexasDiver »

NICE!!! what type of plastic is used in its production?what is used as a uv blocker to protect the plastic?how much does it weigh?how will affect paddling in the wind?
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

ME LIKE IT ! ! ! !

malibu owners, here another addition to our rigs :wink:

:D :D :D
Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Donor wrote:NICE!!! what type of plastic is used in its production?what is used as a uv blocker to protect the plastic?how much does it weigh?how will affect paddling in the wind?

The one in the picture is a fiberglass model ...... I believe that the finished product will be made from polyethylene, the same material that most boats are made from.

As for UV blockers, whatever they put in the plastic for boats is what we are using. Sorry to be so vague, but I honestly dont know as its done by the company that produces our resin.

The one in the pics weighed around 10-12lbs; the final product should be around 8-10lbs, give or take a few.

Wind should have no affect, or at least no noticeable amount. Its actually a bit smaller than it looks in the pics; there's not much there for the wind to push off of.

Hopefully I answered your questions, but if not, ask again and I'll give it another try :wink: .
Last edited by Skinnyfeet on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midnite-boater

Post by midnite-boater »

Great Ideal I want one also I'll be looking for a post of when and where
Jim Day

Wow that looks familiar

Post by Jim Day »

Out in Cal we use bars to mount our gear.

Here's my version: the "Jim Bar" that I've been using for a while now.

One thing I like about the bar/rail as you can put the rod on it when your fighting big sharks.

It's strong but only adds a pound or so.

I'll vouch that the rod holder finder etc.. spacing works great. Looks like a great product.

Just dropped in linked from another kayak site. Grew up fishing Big shell Padre so I hope you don't mind if I drop by more often. Might have to bring my yak next time I come home.

Jim
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

SWEET RIG JIM!!!!