Homemade Poling Skiff-1

CNReds

Post by CNReds »

Thanks for all the comments. This was my first-ever attempt at building a boat. As with any project like this, after your done, you realize there were probably better ways to do things. I think I met my objectives, which were for a skiff that was relatively light, cheap, and didn't take a huge amount of time to build. I was trying to minimize time and money so that if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much.

I really do like the Flatstalker. I think it's well designed and it is a whole lot tougher than the little skiff I built. If you added the opportunity cost of labor for building (which I didn't because it was a recreational activity for me), the Flatstalker is actually cheaper.

Also, I had a typo earlier. It's 50mm plywood, not 5. You all know what I'm talking about. It's the stuff that's just under 1/4 inch thick.

Bugman: If you had bought the Flatstalker at Ace Hardware, I could have borrowed it from you instead of having to build my own!

LanceD: Thanks for the suggestion on FRP. If (or maybe I should say 'when') I tear up the top and bottom, I'll look for FRP to replace it with. Or I may just scrap this one and go buy a Flatstalker.

NatureNut: Shoalwater is exactly the type of water I built it for. Maybe next time we go, you can let me catch at least one fish. Don't get me wrong, I like watching you catch fish after fish after fish. But jeez, you could let me catch at least one!

Finally, I think I've decided on a name for my boat.

"O.O.T.O."

(Out of the Office)

See you on the water!

Jeff (a.k.a. CNReds)
CavassoCruiser

Post by CavassoCruiser »

CNReds wrote:
Also, I had a typo earlier. It's 50mm plywood, not 5. You all know what I'm talking about. It's the stuff that's just under 1/4 inch thick.
That's 5 mm, no typo - 50 mm would be 5 cm or just over 2 inches thick! Great project, btw; I heartily approve also of the "conception of plan --> floating" time frame!
shrimphole

Post by shrimphole »

CNReds, where'd you get the corrugated plastic? what mm?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

CNReds wrote:...This was my first-ever attempt at building a boat ... I think I met my objectives ... I was trying to minimize time and money so that if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much.
Heya Jeff, you said it all right there! Congrats on a FUN job ... FUNLY done, sir!!!

The hardest part of any boat building endeavor, even for guys like me, who are working on their tenth one, is getting started. Finishing actually becomes almost automatic, eh? The excitement of watching a boat being born (borne) by your own hands is epic, and the real challenge becomes *trying not to go too fast*.

Now that I've seen what you've wrought, I have my own ideas of how I'd go about building such a thing. I believe I could build a duplicate that's twice as strong for maybe a quarter of the weight. Yes, more like 25 lbs. Cheap, too... although perhaps not built for the ages. So if you like this approach and want to develop it, give me a holler if you want my ideas, they're yours for the asking.
newguy

Post by newguy »

Nice job CNReds. Slap a battery on the deck and look out flounders. :D
weon'em

Post by weon'em »

Lots of different designs here. I'm sure one would work for a polling skiff.

www.bateau.com
troutchaser

Post by troutchaser »

wow thats awesome. good job.
corkpopper
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by corkpopper »

Great job
Dan Rey
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Dan Rey »

corkpopper wrote:Great job
Dang Cp...... It wasn't you this time :lol:
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

This thread was pretty much over with months ago. It was reposted by a guy who's seeking information on how to build a similar one, but lighter. Here's his thread:

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=82554
utry2win

Re: Homemade Poling Skiff-1

Post by utry2win »

Hi there. New to the forum, and actually found you guys with this post on google.

I was curious to learn how your homemade skiff has held up for you. Also interested in how you choose to attach your plywood to your PVC frame. Have any improvements or changes you would have made?
touttail2001

Post by touttail2001 »

I too have been looking at the flatstalker. This is very interesting. How is it doing after a couple of years? The creativity of kayakers is amazing.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Great job Jeff...love seeing people make things with themselves.. :clap:
bogdog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bogdog »

This is awsome!!!! Sadly, I've never been too good at work like that.... You've got skill!!!

8 days huh?? Wow. Keep us updated with more pics
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Are those just regular 2x4s used for the framing?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Finn Maccumhail wrote:Are those just regular 2x4s used for the framing?
From the first photo....
File comment: Main frame is made from 2X6 PVC fence railing.

You're welcome. 8)
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Pogo wrote:
Finn Maccumhail wrote:Are those just regular 2x4s used for the framing?
From the first photo....
File comment: Main frame is made from 2X6 PVC fence railing.

You're welcome. 8)
Leave me alone my brain gets shut off on the weekends. :oops:
Nueces Bay
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Nueces Bay »

Very cool and inspiring. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
CNReds

Post by CNReds »

I thought this discussion died a long time ago. I still have my poling skiff leaning against the wall in the garage. I think I got more than my money's worth out of it from various fishing/floundering trips. It's held up fairly well because I've been pretty carefull with how I handle it and know it's limitations.

Even though it is really small, I even took my kids on a couple of rides. In keeping with my pursuit of redneck engineering, I also built a mudmotor from an old weedeater. With it's tiny home-made aluminum prop, it pushed the skiff at a blazing 2.5 mph!

The poling skiff and the mudmotor were both projects that I did just to see if I could. It was a fun diversion to build them and exciting to see that they actually worked.

My son, who was 4 at the time, decided that I really needed a boat with a steering wheel. Which to a 4 year old, means a boat big enough for him to ride in too. Last year I bought a 21' bay boat (with a steering wheel) so that I could actually take the whole family fishing. The poling skiff may not get much use now.

Here's a couple of photos from a few years ago of the kids and me trying out the "new" motor.
Attachments
skiff2.jpg
Skiff1.jpg
Skiff1.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Keep your little skiff and piggyback it on the big bay boat. Use the big boat to get to far off marshes and then use the skiff to pole around the flats where your big boat drafts too much to run.