Kayak Stringer

CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Kayak Stringer

Post by CaptJack »

I just made up a stringer with clips and a float for the kayak.
It makes it easier to handle the fish and if you want to
selectively cull certain fish; you can do it without handling
any of the others.
Attachments
YakStringer.jpg
MackerelMan

Culling a no-no

Post by MackerelMan »

Please don't cull fish once they are on the stringer. The extra meat you get from an 18" trout vs. a 15" isn't worth the probable loss of the released fish. The one that you let swim off will likely die by the end of the day from being stressed after being dragged around. Just because you SEE it swim away doesn't mean it lived. Why take the chance, not worth it in my book. :(
Peeshnuck

Peeshnuck

Post by Peeshnuck »

Looks nice Jack! Where did you get the hooks? Did you bastardize a chain model to do that? I think that might work well for wading too. Seems that my fish get tangled at times using the float and rope deal.
Peeshnuck

Peeshnuck

Post by Peeshnuck »

Ooops!!!! noticed a problem with it - Lets see, 10 trout, 3 reds, 10 flounder....yep you are a few hooks short! :D
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

MackerelMan wrote:Please don't cull fish once they are on the stringer.

MM- If it makes you feel better-
Personally, I don't cull- I only stringer fish that I intend to keep.
But there are those who do and if they start peeling some fish off of a rope stringer to get to the smaller fish, it really distresses all the fish, especially the trout (reds can live through anything!) that's why I like the idea of a clip stringer. Note that I also added the float to keep them from dragging on the bottom.
I also don't use a net- I use a BogaGrip so I never handle the skin of the fish and distress any of the protective mucus.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Peeshnuck

Post by CaptJack »

Peeshnuck wrote:Where did you get the hooks? Did you bastardize a chain model to do that? I think that might work well for wading too.

Yeap-
Bought one of those chain things from Academy that had the tubing over the chain :?: talk about draggin the fish on the bottom....
took it apart and tied the clips into an old rope/float stringer I had layin' around in the garage. I've got another 12' piece of polypu rope with eyelets at each end that I can add to it for wade fishing.
popasan

Post by popasan »

good lookin' stringer Jack... :)
boxybru

Post by boxybru »

Boy i'll tell ya ya could have marketed that one Jack, lol!