LD and GoinCoastal Thursday and Friday

LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

LD and GoinCoastal Thursday and Friday

Post by LiverDog »

I tried to post this once but it seems to have disapeared.
:? I met up with Joe at about 7:00 pm at the trail head for Light House Lakes on thursday evening. It was threatening to storm, but never materialized. We decided to hit the drop off on the B&R side while the sun lasted. There was tremendous mullet action, but no reds. We could feel that they were there but no bites. As we were heading back in Joe caught a 19 inch trout on a glowing plastic. I had a strike, but no fish in the boat. As we were comming in we met up with Papasan, who had stopped by to see us. Shared a few laughs. Joe and I hung out by the water there for a couple more hours before deciding to get some bait. We hit the north Jetty and stayed there till around 1:45 am. not a single strike, but those barges are fun to watch go by. 2:15 am found us back on the B&R side of the causeway getting ready to catch some sleep. 6:15 am I wake up and get ready to hit the back side of B&R. We paddled up the motor zone channel hitting the shoreline all the way. tide was nice and high, and not really draining fast yet. we split up on the back side of the islands as Papasan had suggested. I was looking for tails and joe was casting in every direction with a red and white tail minnow. When I met up with hime again, I had not a single bite, while joe had managed a couple of reds 16" and 17" and a couple of trout. We hit more of the flats on the back side of the islands. No fish yet for me. then we decided to go over towards the front side where I have acually caught fish before. We pulled up to some slick water and split up again. I had found what I was looking for. I must have seen 7-10 tails all just waging in the air without a care in the world. the water was crystal clear, but we had very dark storm clouds overhead. I used my black with chartruse head he dog. One good cast and wham!!!!!! I love it when you see the fish that your going to catch before hand. 18 inches and a good fight. I released him after a couple of photos of course. after that the rest of the reds left and I could not get a bite. I headed back over to the channel that had brought us up. It was getting warmer and I figured that there would be some trout action in there. I caught a 10 inch trout. He was very pretty. During this time Joe had managed another Red. After that we paddled back to the trucks loaded the gear and finished off my portion of the trip with some mexican food in Aransas Pass. Joe "GoinCoastal" stayed in AP for another 3 days. I cant wait for his report. Papsan it was wonderful to meet you, and Joe we are definately going to need to do this again. I am so glad to have found this sport and all the great people involved in it.
LD
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

North Jetties

Post by vincent »

Great report LD..how did you approach the north jetties..I assume you fished the channel side?..where did you cross from ?
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

actually we drove up to them. It was really dark with a new moon phase and cloud cover. I am just now looking into the purchase of some running lights. The academy in Round Rock does not carry the scotty ones. I was suprised that the big barges dont make a huge wake. It was those oil crew boats that make the jetty spray. I would definately approach from the back of San Jose Island and fish that side of the channel. The tide was just starting to come in, so there would have been some crazy currents at the mouth. I will definately fish the area in the day light before hitting it at night.
popasan

Post by popasan »

it was a pleasure meeting you and joe thursday evening.....glad you guys had fun and caught some fish......i never have a bad day on the water, i might not catch many fish , but the experience is always great.......hope to see you guys again soon....... :)

Larry