Thoughts/Suggestions on Fishing the SLP Area

TomL

Thoughts/Suggestions on Fishing the SLP Area

Post by TomL »

I'm heading out with my dad to the SLP area do some yak fishing in a couple of weeks (July 11th - 13th). Does anyone have any suggestions for fishing that area? Locations - Gulf side, or bay side? Tides, are they better incoming or outgoing? Anchoring problems during a moving tide? Other suggestions...etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
yakattack

Yakfishing San Luis Pass

Post by yakattack »

The tide velocity at SLP is greater than other parts of the bay because it is a bottleneck. Even a moderate tide change can have very strong currents. One benefit is that you can ride the tide into the bay and then ride it back out or paddle out on the stand. Paddling against the tide current can be difficult if not impossible so think ahead. There is a deep channel on the west side of the pass that runs to Bird Island and then on into West Bay--probably 12-20 feet deep average. To anchor over the deep water you will need 30-35 feet of line and an anchor that digs in if the current is moving. I normally feed the line out aft of my seat so that the current keeps me facing mostly down current. If you secure the anchor amidship, the current will be hitting you broadside and can be unsettling, if not problematic. Fishing around Bird Island might produce some success. If you don't want to brave the bay, you can put in at Brazoria County Park on the west side SLP at the mouth of Cold Pass. Then you can either fish Cold Pass or paddle straight across Cold Pass to Titlum Tatlum Bayou (may not be good on weekends--too much boat traffic). Check the Wells tide tables in Gulf Coast Fisherman magazine or on the internet for times and velocities of tidal flow. Just remember that if you ride the tide in, you may be there until it stops or turns. If the current is taking you faster or farther than you want, paddle perpendicular to the flow to get out of it. It is not usually rough, but it can be very fast. PLAN AHEAD.
TomL

Thanks!

Post by TomL »

Those are some great things to think about yakattack. Thanks for the reply.