This itch is bad!

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

This itch is bad!

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Gonna get some help/lessons flyfishing for panfish this week :D .. Ordered a rod from Barry (ya gotta have a good flyrod :lol: ) so I'll be ready for the coast in a few weeks... I knew I was hooked when I took those casting lessons at the TPWD Expo! It's good to finally get going with it. Thanks again to everyone for their advice... Now, if I can just find the riiiiiiiiiight fly.. LOL
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

Whew Barnacle Bill. I thought someone had a rash again...;)
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Drats!

Post by TKFStubb »

And I was ready to jump in with more pharmaceutical advice! The only thing that will cure the fishin itch...is to go fishin! Flyfishin is the same cure, just different symptoms...right arm snaps back to 1oclock, left hand swings down at your left side uncontrollably, you hunch over and stare at any object about 40 ft in front of you. One of these days I'm gonna have Barry or M-D make me one of those rods...just as soon as I wear out my Orvis.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

But, Tom, the Orvis has a 25-year "no fault" warranty. :wink:

M-D
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

Bill, tell me what you are hoping to catch and I'll send you a few to get started.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Howdy North

Post by Barnacle Bill »

When I get ready to hit the saltwater I'll be stalking reds and trout.. For now I'm going to stalk panfish and bass with a freshwater flyrod.. It will be 2 months at least before I hit saltwater. Your offer is greatly appreciated. I'll email you my address...
B-Bill
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Fly fishing sites..

Post by Barnacle Bill »

What internet sites do you flyfishers go to when you buy supplies when you buy on-line? I've found one named orvis that looks pretty good (although pricey) and one that Barry mentioned named Cortland. Both seem to have everything a person would need. I've found a couple of sites that have excellent info for us beginners.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Hey Bill,

I pick up materials at Orvis store in Austin. Its at 183 & Mopac near Dave&Buster's. There is an online shop called Dan-Baileys.com and there is also BassPro & Cabela's. You can find most everything from any of these dealers.

Now for what to use.... since you will be fishing much the same waters as i do (hill country rivers and Town lake) as you are learning this sport as I am........ I tie clousers in chart/white, yellow/white, and olive/white. I have tied an assortment of small hard foam poppers in white, greens, blue/white, and chart/white. I have some store bought terrestials like hoppers, beetles, and spiders that are deadly. And some wooly boogers in blk/yellow, brown/blk, white, and chart/white. My favorites are the topwaters for the persh and the clousers for the bass. The wooly boogers work for anything!!!

When you get your rod and you are ready to go practice the catching instead of te casting, give me a shout. We will go give it try somewhere handy...

Later,
Joe
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Bill,

Feather-Craft, up in St. Louis, has a good selection of fly-tying materials, rods, reels, lines, etc., with excellent service. Most everybody has the same price per item, so there's not much to be found in the way of discounts.

http://www.feather-craft.com

M-D