rays shallow in xmas

isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

rays shallow in xmas

Post by isubarui »

Went to xmas friday and caught some mackerel and a trout early. After putting them in the cooler i headed towards rattlesnake from earnies. On the way there I counted 54 dinner plate size rays swimming in the shallows over the grass. After throwing a soft plastic for a while I saw some movement by the grass line and made a cast. I ended up landing this huge stingray in less that a foot of water. The picture doesn't do justice to his size but it makes my 7ft pole look like a toy. I have never seen this many rays cruising the shallow before, but from now I will not be wading around that area for a while.

five-O
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by five-O »

Thursday will fishing Highland Bayou where it feeds into Jones Lake I got out to wade fish all the cuts that drain into Jones on a falling tide. In a 100 yard wade I promise I saw more rays than I could count. They would kick up in front of me and circle around behind me in the mud I was stirring up. I was wearing Stingray protection boots but still got really nervous. The bottom was muddy and I was afraid that I would lose my footing and step back on one. They were so thick I jumped up on the shore and walked back to the kayak.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I never thought I was a sissy, but when it come to sting rays, I just freak out. Like some people are with snakes or spiders, I am mortally afraid of them. They are 50% of why I hate wade fishing. I have seen ( in pictures) what thay can do and I read about the pain and long recup time. Thank god for my yak, it gets me to places I can fish and stay fairly safe.
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

I hate wading with sting rays :shock:
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

Yeah i'm not suprised, they are all over Christmas.

By the way how do you handle a ray when you catch it?

I've only caught one from a boat and the guy i was with told me just to cut my line b/c if you touch it anywhere it will hit you w/its tail.

I heard recently though thats not true. You can pick them up by those holes on top of their body. True or not?
TreeDav

Post by TreeDav »

Stingray provides good eating, wish I had a few nice sized ones, I wont eat reds, or trout, but I will eat rays.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Post

Post by Pogo »

TreeDav wrote:Stingray provides good eating...

You BET they do!!! :D
topdog15

Post by topdog15 »

you can safely handle a stingray by the spiracles (holes in the top of the head) as long as you approach it from the head. Sides or back side and he'll nail ya. Also can get a grip on the tail but don't let go till you're ready to release it.
sewaneedave

Post by sewaneedave »

what do you do after grabbin him by the spiracles? cut tail off?
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Do not under any circumstances try to handle by hand or net a sting ray. I have a goof friend who is an expierenced fisherman who got hit in the hanc by a ray that was in a net. He spent 7n days in intensive care and missed 2 months work. CUT THE THING LOOSE OR DRAG IT UP ON THE BANK AND CUT IT LOOSE. You would be better off trying to play with a rattle snake by hand.
rod holder

Post by rod holder »

TreeDav wrote:Stingray provides good eating, wish I had a few nice sized ones, I wont eat reds, or trout, but I will eat rays.

Dude.... are you part shark?? :wink:
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

TreeDav wrote:Stingray provides good eating,

you do not want to be in the water with stingray on your breath !! 8)
fredtoo
FISHUNTER

Post by FISHUNTER »

Never thought in a million years to eat a stingray. Then one day back when I worked at the Willowbrook Academy, a fellow co-worker fried some up and brought it in and put it in the lunch room for everyone. It was great, and didn't last to long, a lot of the employees tried it, and everybody liked it. It was really good.
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

54? good count job.....reason I stay in the yak.
TreeDav

Post by TreeDav »

If you eat @ Joe's or Red Lobster and order yourself a mess of Scallops,,enjoy them your eating stingray.
sewaneedave

Post by sewaneedave »

so...like I was saying - how do you safely take them? Even if you pick up by the spiracles (not likely I will), what next? Assuming you kill em - how? Ever gig one?
jeepmanmike
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: post

Post by jeepmanmike »

TreeDav wrote:If you eat @ Joe's or Red Lobster and order yourself a mess of Scallops,,enjoy them your eating stingray.
For the umptenth time URBAN MYTH...
T-Bart

Post by T-Bart »

Stingray's don't have bones in their vertebrae, they have cartilage, which means the tail can whip in any direction they want it to. Before touching a stingray make sure the length of the tail from the barb to the base of the tail is not long enough to reach you if bent backwards. In some cases, those spiracles may not be a safe enough distance to reach them from. I'd actually reccommend dragging it onto shore, and then approaching it from the back, putting a foot right on top of the tail.
utsachris

Post by utsachris »

I just cut them off, hooks are cheap.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Did

Post by JimD »

Did you ever think about being the Rayguard poster child?

Ever wonder if the boots really work?

I did.
I took a old pair of Neumarks cut them so that they fit inside my Rayguards just in case. Cannot tell they are there but luckly I have not had to try them out. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

FISHUNTER wrote:Never thought in a million years to eat a stingray. Then one day back when I worked at the Willowbrook Academy, a fellow co-worker fried some up and brought it in and put it in the lunch room for everyone. It was great, and didn't last to long, a lot of the employees tried it, and everybody liked it. It was really good.

I remember that day, or should I say that night. I did the overnighter that night and if I recall, I ate almost "all" of the fried stingray that night. It was good! :D Trey's wife can cook some mean stingray. :wink:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

When I catch a stingray I want to take home, I pin the tail down near the barb with a paddle shaft... operating from the other end of the paddle. Then I stand or kneel on said paddle to make good and sure that tail ain't goin' nowhere. The barb comes off fairly easily with pliers, and now he's just another fish. Nuthin' to it.

If I want to examine the barb, and I always do, I handle it with the pliers only.
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

Pogo wrote:When I catch a stingray I want to take home, I pin the tail down near the barb with a paddle shaft... operating from the other end of the paddle. Then I stand or kneel on said paddle to make good and sure that tail ain't goin' nowhere. The barb comes off fairly easily with pliers, and now he's just another fish. Nuthin' to it.

If I want to examine the barb, and I always do, I handle it with the pliers only.

So you can just pull the barb out of the tail pretty easily? Interesting, never knew that.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Wrench it off, like a catfish spine.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Wrench it off, like a catfish spine.