Paddle Position to Communicate

redrun

Paddle Position to Communicate

Post by redrun »

On a trip in July my buddy and I got a few hundred yards apart. while I am not new to fishing the open bays, this is my 1st summer in my yak. My buddy is a complete newbie (says he was in a canoe once about 15 years ago) Anyway, a strong thunderstorm was brewing and the lightning started to pop pretty good. I whislted to get his attention but how to I say "Get over here!" We didn't have any radios and my cell phone is stowed in the dry bag.

Solution: After that incident we decided to hold a single blade straight up equals "You come towards or to me now" and paddle held up horizontal means "What's up? Let's move towards each other and discuss things, take a break, etc..."

Any univeral signals out there.
cornwoody

Post by cornwoody »

I just saw this covered on another site, mainly for white water guys I will try and find the link
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Paddle Position to Communicate

Post by blesker »

redrun wrote:On a trip in July my buddy and I got a few hundred yards apart. while I am not new to fishing the open bays, this is my 1st summer in my yak. My buddy is a complete newbie (says he was in a canoe once about 15 years ago) Anyway, a strong thunderstorm was brewing and the lightning started to pop pretty good. I whislted to get his attention but how to I say "Get over here!" We didn't have any radios and my cell phone is stowed in the dry bag.

Solution: After that incident we decided to hold a single blade straight up equals "You come towards or to me now" and paddle held up horizontal means "What's up? Let's move towards each other and discuss things, take a break, etc..."

Any univeral signals out there.

Let's Go put up a great post on this:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ss+signals

Specifically the link is here:

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?232

Well worth learning some of those.

b
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I'd love to see a set of paddle signals become a common language to all paddlers. What exists now varies from region to region, and from sea kayakers to whitewater types. But here are a few constants...

Paddle held straight up: Proceed, most typically, but also Come To Me. (Must be an intuitive thing?)

Paddle held straight up, and bobbed up and down: Same thing as above, only HURRY!

Paddle held straight up, then leaned to right or left: Proceed That Way.

Paddle held horizontally overhead: Stop!

Paddle held same as above, only see-sawed: Back Up!

Patting self on head with hand in obvious high-viz fashion: Are You Okay?

Reply to above: Patting self on head means Yes, I'm Okay; anything else doesn't... usually waving hand(s) wildly. Another reply involves patting self on head with one hand, and circling stomach with other hand, which means Yes, I'm Okay, But Need A Beer (Or Sandwich).

Editor's Note: Blesker already responded while this post was being prepared. Cool. Good ol' Scott... people really oughta listen to him. 8)

Cheers, Kurt
redrun

Post by redrun »

Thanks for the tips. A little common sense and talk about it before you end up needing help.
Daddy-O

Re: Paddle Position to Communicate

Post by Daddy-O »

redrun wrote: Anyway, a strong thunderstorm was brewing and the lightning started to pop pretty good. ....

Solution: After that incident we decided to hold a single blade straight up equals "You come towards or to me now"

You may want to check out this link as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Pogo
patting self on head with one hand, and circling stomach with other hand, which means Yes, I'm Okay, But Need A Beer (Or Sandwich).

Or a Rubin imitation :roll: :roll: LMAO CNR