First time fishing from a Yak! (I-45 Estuuarial Corridor)

Kayak06

First time fishing from a Yak! (I-45 Estuuarial Corridor)

Post by Kayak06 »

Hey guys, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Dave, and my brother and I just purchased 2 Perception 9.5 Sundance model kayaks, mainly to be used for recreation. However, I have been going down to Bayou Vista my entire life and have always wanted to fish in the area now known as the John O'Quinn/I-45 Estuarial Corridor, on the west side of Bayou Vista.

My brother and I went out there this past Sunday, and had a blast. I was hoping to catch some flounder and reds, but all I caught was a few hardheads. Initially, I was using dead shrimp, and then decided to start throwing my chartruse tail spinner/spoon after a fellow kayaker paddled past with a nice stringer of reds which he caught with that lure.

At any rate, we weren't out there long enough, and I didn't take enough back-up tackle with me to replace my lost leader (caught on an old cast net). But I was able to fight the few hardheads w/o breaking a line.

Has anyone else fished there?

I can't wait to go back! :D
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Is that near Houston?
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

Welcome Dave.

Can you be more specific on the area you fished and provide a launch point?
Kayak06

Post by Kayak06 »

RedRubi wrote:Welcome Dave.

Can you be more specific on the area you fished and provide a launch point?

Thanks!

Sure, here is a link to a good map:

http://www.scenicgalveston.org/directions.html

It is between Bayou Vista and Tiki Island. I guess Reitan Point is where there is a small boat launch (gravel). You can put in the water in a few different places, but that seems to be the easiest. There is a lot of grass, so you can meader through small channels and fish pretty much whereever. Basically, between Bayou Vista and exit 5 on the map. It is a fairly large area, but some parts looked too shallow. Next time, I am going to attempt to fish closer to the railroad tracks (you can see it on the map), as I suspect there could be reds lurking there.
Most of the area is less than 2' deep, as my paddle tips were covered in silt most of the time we were out there.
Kayak06

Post by Kayak06 »

scuppersancho wrote:Is that near Houston?

Nope, almost to Galveston. But that is only about 45 miles away :D
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Welcome, Dave.

So you park and launch from the side of the road? I may be confused.

There's a spot along the feeder road of I-45 between Bayou Vista and Tiki Island where I see folks parked and fishing or casting for bait along there. Is that the spot? Or is it someplace else?

When I'm in that area, I usually launch from Louis' bait camp on Hwy 6 and paddle down Highland Bayou toward Jones Lake around Tiki Island. Or launch at Fat Boy's on Jones Lake.

Mrs. B
Kayak06

Post by Kayak06 »

Mrs Backlasher wrote:Welcome, Dave.

So you park and launch from the side of the road? I may be confused.

Mrs. B

Mrs. B, that is correct! The area along 45 b/t B.V. and Tiki. There is a small ramp into the water which you can use to launch from, as well as a few low spots near the grass where you can also put in.

I have been to Louis' many times, and that sounds like a good long paddle all the way to Tiki! I'm not sure if I am up for that kind of distance yet, but it sounds like a blast! :D
CrockerAg

Post by CrockerAg »

O'Quinn is a restored marsh w/ lots of Spartina. A little bit further down the way, on the west side of 45 across from the cabarets is a created marsh and the channels in it are really deep. If you want to collect some bait that might be a good spot. Very productive for bait during the winter when we did our sampling. O'Quinn would probably be good as well. We never got a chance to sample it too much. Beautiful place to paddle if you block out the highway and the canal houses :D. Probably one of my favorite marshes I have worked in.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I eyeball that place every time I go by it (like today). My question, are there any fish in it?
CrockerAg

Post by CrockerAg »

When we did sampling we got quiet a few juvenile redfish but I dont know about adults... Never fished it..
Kayak06

Post by Kayak06 »

Mythman wrote:I eyeball that place every time I go by it (like today). My question, are there any fish in it?

Some dude was catching fish there. Like I said, he held up a stringer of 4 reds, at least 24" each, and fat. Please check the map I linked in my second post...on the map check Reichart Point or whatever it is called, that is where we launched from. It was really cool, but we personally didn't catch much, but we weren't fishing with anything but dead shrimp. Although, I know there are LOTS of fish out there.

Dave
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

I've been to that place to catch bait a few times. Theres always bait there, lots of mullet and sometimes a good amount of shrimp. I always see people crabbing there. It looks pretty shallow. All I've seen caught there were small fish. I think its one of the places Ray Crawford talks about catching bait in his book.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Here is a Terraserver map of the area. I might have to check this place out too. But, I'm thinking of doing it on an incoming tide and later this year since the water is shallow in there and with this heat we've been having lately, that shallow water must be "hot".

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... Y=2027&W=1

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... Y=8113&W=1

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... =16227&W=1
this side up

Post by this side up »

That spot looked so fishy, that is the reason I bought my kayak. But I never went back there to try it. Duh. Lots of places to have fun in, just not enough time.
BigRib77

Re: First time fishing from a Yak! (I-45 Estuuarial Corridor)

Post by BigRib77 »

Hi Dave and all other anglers! I was out there this afternoon and evening paddling in the estuarial corridor.
I launched my kayak from that first little bridge on the feeder road off I-45 South Gulf Freeway (between Bayou Vista and Tiki Island) Exit 5.
The prospects of landing some keeper game fish was definitely there. It definitely was high tide phase. I saw some fish activity, mainly those leaping into the air (hardheads maybe?) The environment looks so promising for big game fish, yet I've had zero luck thus far and I've been paddling there for the past 2 years.
However, just being out there is an incredible experience. Easy paddling, quiet, secluded, tranquil, amazing sunsets, coastal birds, etc.
I was throwing soft plastics (Gulp swimming mullet/minow pearl white on a Carolina rig on a baitcaster).
I checked out several "ambush" spots yet still had no luck. I don't want to give up on the estuary yet I'm really perplexed as to if some big game fish keepers are out there?!
Nonetheless, it's a beautiful kayak paddling experience. Yet in terms of fishing, it's quite a nerve racking experience, just not knowing if/if not the fishing there is productive. Anyone else have any input or recommendations?
Lol,
MarshMadness17
crusher

Post by crusher »

I have neither fished nor launched from the I-45 access road as mentioned, but I've seen previous posts and used the Search feature on TKF here to know some folks report pretty good results out near the railroad and in the guts where this marsh is fed by the bay. If some of the historic TKFers would chime in, I'm sure there would be some great info added. From Louis launch as mentioned by Mrs B, the western area (Pierce Marsh) nearby is well known to to be a descent fishing area on the right tides, winds, season.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

crusher wrote:I have neither fished nor launched from the I-45 access road as mentioned, but I've seen previous posts and used the Search feature on TKF here to know some folks report pretty good results out near the railroad and in the guts where this marsh is fed by the bay. If some of the historic TKFers would chime in, I'm sure there would be some great info added. From Louis launch as mentioned by Mrs B, the western area (Pierce Marsh) nearby is well known to to be a descent fishing area on the right tides, winds, season.
Dude.
This IS a historic post. 11 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

I didn't notice that until you posted Cuervo - I was reading down and seeing all these oldtimers - thinking I was seeing a rejuvinated board...Mrs. B, NW, - so exciting - but alas...
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

twilight_zone-314134213_large.jpg